Help my festy eats rear tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help my festy eats rear tires

I have the car up on a lift and can not find any thing bent or worn or loose
    but this thing ate brand new tires in 2 months.
    Donn

How many miles = 2 months?

Tire pressure?How much weight do you carry? What kind of tires? Are your shocks junk? Did it scrub the shoulders off?Mileage on tires? I lived in Texas some of the roads are nothing more than sharpe gravel held in place with tar. What kind of road surface are we talking?
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Loose wheels bearings or bent beam.

Comment

I'm with nitrofarm on this one, first we need to define "eats tires" then we'll move on to discussing what "2 months" means. I've logged over 15k in two months before. But some folks only drive 5 miles a day, which is not even 500 miles in two months. Its like when people on CL say "this car only costs $15 to fill up and you can drive it for 2 weeks before filling up again". Just not enough info to make an accurate estimate. Maybe its an F250 but they live a mile and half from work. Delivering pizza I routinely burn through $15 of gas in a night but thats 150+ miles usually.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Pics of tire wear and more details of type of driving, shock/spring condition, bearing replacement (if any), would be useful to provide you with a useful reply.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I had the same thing, Alignment gauges showed an out of alignment
            specification condition. A new beam is the recommended repair by
            Ford but I used shims and its fine now. The funny feeling going from
            ice to pavement and back again went away too.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Well driving on pavement like 40 miles per day .And 2 road trips like 450 mile each .
              The new tires were installed in November they are Hercules G2000T 155/80 R12 on stock alum wheels .mounted and balanced . I put in wheel studs and normal nuts.
              Both rear tires have wire cords showing on the inside now.
              The rear wheels have no slop or play and spin free,the rear shocks seem good and don't bounce . close inspection rear beam and can't find any dents or bends, bearing are repacked, I did install lower control arms and bushings in front but the front don't eat tires just the rear. It still needs new cv shafts and rack boots before I get it to an alignment shop.(laid off from work now) I was thinking new shocks/struts but they seem fine to me.
              Donn

Comment

I'd try checking the rims are vertical at rest with a carpenter's level or see how they contact the ground by looking from behind the car. People report here they check alignment by running a piece of string between the front and rear wheels and see where it touches the rims.
                Last edited by WmWatt; 01-18-2012, 01:27 PM.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Raise the back and spin the rear tire. While the tire is spinning paint a strip
                  around the tire. Next take a nail or something similar attached to something heavy
                  enough not to move and hold to the paint while spinning the tire. With both sides
                  done you have a fine line that is perfect to measure from. Use a block so that when
                  you measure you are the same distance to the ground front and rear.
                  You should have between o to 1/4 inch toe in, 1/16 would be great.
                  You should have 1/4 posi camber, but camber will not scrub your tires as
                  fast as toe, what you are describing is most likely a toe out condition.
                  Most likely it is just one that is out. You should be able to "gun site"
                  from the rear looking at the front to see which tire is toed out.
                  Gun site being front and rear side wall of the rear tire aiming at the front tire.
                  Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                  X