Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• --- Windshield washer issue ---

Hey all,

I know the pump is working, because I hear it. It was working fine yesterday and today NOTHING! It is -15C (5F) and so I thought the little nozzle was clogged, so I removed it (well it broke) and for a couple seconds I had great flow out of the hose, then it turned to a very small flow with a foamy consistancy........

Again, the pump is new, and is turning on, but does it need backpressure or something, or is there a blockage (ice) somewhere else? When I broke off the nozzle it worked well for about 5 seconds, now its all bubbly, and I need it!

Thanks in advance for suggestions......

Probably ice like you suspect. Had the same problem before I switched to ice melting winter formula spray a few weeks ago.
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

My guess is ice too. If the fluid you have has been in the system for a long time the alcohol portion, which is the anti freezing component, may have evaporated away.

I run stuff that doesn't freeze until -35°C (-31°F) all year round. Hopefully it works because it's going down to -31°C (-24°F) tonight. With the wind it's going to feel like -40° :eeeeeek:
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

yeah, the washer fluid is -35C stuff, and I use a lot of it, so the one theory is not correct (alcohol evap etc). However, who ever checks whether they are lying to us, lol.....May only be good till -15C?

It will be warming up in the next couple days, and I hope it is just ice.....

Comment

Heres a tip for washer fluid

Store it outside. If it freeze's outside its junk. I've been doing this for a couple years.And you'll find the quality control on the stuff is crap. I'll have two Unopened jugs of the same product.One will be fine,nice and runny.And the other one will be the consistancy of a blended smoothie. I'll use that one for my window wash bucket. And use the good stuff for our cars.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
          X