Car just up and stopped.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car just up and stopped.

Was driving home today from the store, and my radio started cutting out. Sounds like a bomb in the car haha. anyways, i got all the way to my driveway and she just shuts down. no battery power at all it seemed. the seatbelts wouldn't even move. i checked all the fuses, and they were fine, none blown. the car set for a few minutes then i tried starting it and it started right up. i'm at a loss. the battery had 12volts at the posts, and my fuseable links were fine.
    anyone got any ideas?
    alternator lock up?
    battery bad cell?(it's a red top 2 years old.)
    i'm lost. help!?
    Fesdiva is it's new name since she's acting crazy- 92 L

Check your battery connections. Clean and reinstall.
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

You were running off the alternator..
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

+1 to check battery cables you should never be able to move them at all by hand.

If you think they aren't getting tight enough you can take a hack saw and shave off some lead between the two end pieces of the connectors that squeeze together around the post, this will open up more space for them to wrap around it.
        ~Zach

Comment

check the charging voltage, ie. voltage accross battery terminals while engine idling. should be about 14.7 volts. tells you if the alternator is working.

as a last resort a failing ignition control module can cause intermittent stalling. letting it sit and cool off cures the problem until next time. you can take the module in to some parts stores for free testing. it shouldn't affect radio reception so it's not likely the cause. mine stalled several times before the module packed it in. after I took it to a garage to see why it was cutting out. they put in a new PCV valve because they didn't know the cause and couldn't think of anything else to do.
          Last edited by WmWatt; 01-20-2012, 08:50 PM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

ICM?

Same thing just happened to me....replaced the coil first......nothing. Then the Ignition control module and waaaaa laaaaa....it started. mine has 85k on it and that is normal I'm learning....they are found on ebay for around 50 dollars.......Hope that helps.
            Mark
            92 GL, 98k
            77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

Originally posted by sharkstiva View Post
              Was driving home today from the store, and my radio started cutting out. Sounds like a bomb in the car haha. anyways, i got all the way to my driveway and she just shuts down. no battery power at all it seemed. the seatbelts wouldn't even move. i checked all the fuses, and they were fine, none blown. the car set for a few minutes then i tried starting it and it started right up. i'm at a loss. the battery had 12volts at the posts, and my fuseable links were fine.
              anyone got any ideas?
              alternator lock up?
              battery bad cell?(it's a red top 2 years old.)
              i'm lost. help!?
              No need to check all kinds of stuff... if what you wrote
              above is correct. Your hunch is correct, no battery power at all. You
              were running off the alternator while the battery was out of the
              system. You have a bad connection not far from the battery. Probably
              something you touched. Take connections apart, clean them, pull
              on the ends to make sure nothing is loose or broke.
              This kind of connection will arc n spark...it can damage electronics
              including the bridge and the regulator of the alternator. Find it
              as soon as you can before it does more damage.
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

fusable links! and bam! i found it. someone got a link to the repair thread?
                Fesdiva is it's new name since she's acting crazy- 92 L

Comment

Originally posted by sharkstiva View Post
                  fusable links! and bam! i found it. someone got a link to the repair thread?
                  It was by nitrofarm if that's any help.

Comment

Ah yes, if your MAIN fusible link goes it will kill everything in the car. I found that out when my dad pulled the link off and put it back on, it was corroded and fine before but he broke the good connection and it just died. No dash lights, cranks, nothing, 100% flat dead. Wire brush = friend

I ended up getting rid of my links. Bought one of these fuse holder things at Walmart for like 2 bucks. Solder and crimp on old cleaned up spades and pop in a normal fuse
                    ~Zach

Comment

No need to get/make custom fusible links! They sell cartridge type FUSES at all auto parts stores for replacing the links.
                      Pull all 3 links out of there. Clean with a small wire brush (a gun cleaning copper wire tip works good) and put in 2- 30amp fuses on the left and right and a 40 amp fuse in the middle (30-40-30). Good to go. A little dielectric grease on the link terminals, before putting in the fuses will prevent corrosion in the future.
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Working...
                      X