auto Festy getting horrible mileage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto Festy getting horrible mileage

Wife drove Fajita today, she put gas in this morning, $20 worth, it was empty so that was about 3/4 tank. She said it burned 1/4 tank, she drove about 30 miles maybe 40.

No check engine light, doesn't smell rich, seems to run fine, no high idle, no emergency brake dragging.

My plan right now is to fill it up full, and drive it, then fill it and check the mileage.

I just want to know if there is something I should look for.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Might just be the way the gauge moves; but also the O2 sensor might be broke and making it run rich. Has it been tuned up recently or has it been a long time? I'd check the plugs for clues on how it's running.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The guage is not linear. When full it doesn't move for a long time. When it starts to move it's slow at first but speeds up as the tank empties. Better to do a fillup and odometer calculation, IMHO
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Tom, I just recently bought it. I'll pull the plugs and check them, and do the odo calc.

I may drive it to work a couple days next week (44 mile round trip) and check it out that way.

If all else fails, I may throw an O2 at it as I'm betting it's never been changed. (95k)

I bought the car with the intention of my wife driving it during the week as her Windstar gets about 15 in town, my thought is the Festy ought to get 30+ being an auto. I have another 5-speed car I can swap trannys with if she'll let me.
        1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
        1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
        1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
        1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
        2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
        2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
        2005 Accord - wife's DD
        2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
        2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Check the timing...
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Before you do anything, I would suggest filling it completely up, and then drive it until the guage reads close to empty (if you are really concerned, take a gas can). Then fill again to calculate the mpg for the entire tank.

The reason is this: In my car, sometimes the gas guage is funny about when it decides to go down and stay steady......I can drive 100 miles and it will barely move, but when I drive the next time, it will suddenly move up to 1/8-1/4 tank!

Do this, come back and report, BEFORE messing with stuff, lol......just my opinion.......Saves needless work and worry

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
              I have another 5-speed car I can swap trannys with if she'll let me.
              This should take you from 30mpg to as high as 46mpg (that is what I average in my 5spd, including winter driving).........

Comment

Working...
              X