Master cylinder leaking.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master cylinder leaking.....

So today I found out that my master brake cylinder was leaking and needs replaced. So I was wondering how hard of a job it would be, aka could 3-4 savy 20-year olds figure it out with an afternoon? Got the quote from all the places around me and the cheapest was $509...which is more then half the price of my festiva so.... trying to save some money, the part is under 100$ just wondering how hard it would be to replace =/. 1992 ford festiva GL. Thanks for any info as always you guys rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUvBHnOh9ao This might help you.

I would recommend bleeding your whole break system also ( it dose not show that in the video)
    Last edited by william; 01-21-2012, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the video! watched it and it actually seems pretty easy, a few questions though if you happen to know. On his syringe or baster whatever it was, what was that black thing on the end that allowed him to kind of suction cup to the hole? and when I went to the mechanic he said that my leak was in the back area twords the break booster and he mentioned that if any fluid got in their it would mess some stuff up. Is there anyway to tell if anything go in there and or if its still working? (kinda fuzzy on the break boosters purpose) Anyways thanks again!

Comment

On his syringe I believe it was just a small peace of rubber line like fuel line so it would be big enough to seal the hole on the master cylinder

my master cylinder also leaks from the back seal just a little ( needs changed but I'm poor) lol I don't think there is any way that it can really get in to you booster ,
        you should be fine( but may be some one here could chime in and tell me if I'm right??)

Comment

Festiva Motor Sports was selling them insanely cheap if they are responding. Get one with a reservoir if possible because swapping your old one to it is difficult (tight fit). Make sure nothing but fluid is coming out the ports before you hook up the lines. Have someone push the pedal before the final tightening of the lines. Also brake fluid in the booster will not hurt it.

Comment

Just ordered a master cylinder and one of those syringes :p Thanks for the help guys, hope it goes well. Might be here when i need help bleeding the brakes.

Comment

Good opportunity to flush the system. Probably never been done.

Comment

Not to hijack, but this goes along. I have a small MC leak also , & want to get the ETG MC. Does anyone have the part# & year of the new part? I've read the past post & it has conflicting info. Thanks
                If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                  Good opportunity to flush the system. Probably never been done.
                  any more elaboration? not exactly the most mechanically savvy, :d thanks

Comment

navdoc101 http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...aster+cylinder

autozone Part Number: NM55004
                    with the auto

part number : with the manual NM55004A
                    Last edited by william; 01-22-2012, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zocheyado View Post
                      any more elaboration? not exactly the most mechanically savvy, :d thanks
                      Flushing the hydraulic (brake) system replaces the old contaminated fluid with fresh stuff. There's lots of ways to do it but I get a 2 foot piece of plastic line that fits tight on the bleeder valve (rt rear). Run the line through the spring to hold it vertical. Open the valve a turn or so. Make sure the master cyl is kept full. The old dark fluid will rise in the tube. If it doesn't push the brake pedal once or twice. When it becomes clean shut the bleeder. Do the other wheels which will not take as long as the first.

Comment

Thanks william!!
                        If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

your welcome

Comment

Just thought I would update you guys, got the master cylinder and that tool yesterday, went to O'reillys today and got some brake fluid and changed everything with the video and tips given here and everything went perfectly! I drove the festiva all day with no issues and it stopped like a champ~ thanks for all the help guy!

"Edit" Also upon driving it all day i noticed that when I changed headlights from low to brights there is sometimes( like 2/3 of the times) a 1-2 second delay before they come on...which means i drive without lights for about 2 seconds which was scary haha. any ideas?

Comment

dirty switch is most common issue and can cause the delay of the relay engaugement.
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                              X