Washer Sprayer Nozzle Aiming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer Sprayer Nozzle Aiming?

When I bought the festy the washer fluid wouldn't spray at all, so I replaced the pump. Now it nearly sprays over the windshield. The highest two streams land just below the top of the windshield, and the two lowest streams land just about half way. This isn't so much of a problem at 70 mph on the interstate, but it's rare to find myself on separated roadway.

Anyway, I went out today and pushed on the jets in the sprayer with the head of a small nail hoping for some movement but got none. Granted, I didn't get too persuasive for fear of breaking it completely. When that didn't work I checked under the hood for some mounting screws to work with only to find the nozzle to be inaccessible. It just happens to be located right above a length of the hoods structural "bracing" (for lack of a better term).

Is it possible to orient the sprayer nozzles in a more useful direction, or should I just be happy now that they spray at all?

I personally have no luck with washer fluid systems, so i'm happy if I get any kind of washer fluid on the windshield, no matter where it lands lol

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

pop the front side of the nozzle out of the hood a little bit. it wont look like it's supposed to but it should hit the windshield

Comment

I know how you feel, I drove around for a couple of weeks without fluid before I replaced the pump. It was the greatest day ever when I could get the windshield wet from behind the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by festivafeva View Post
          pop the front side of the nozzle out of the hood a little bit. it wont look like it's supposed to but it should hit the windshield
          I'll give that a shot, but I'm a little obsessive over that sort of thing. I don't think it'll last.

Comment

Festiva doesn't even have the washer fluid system on the car, but since it gets parked for the winter I plan to leave it that way lol plus I don't think I'd have the room for it anymore haha

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              Festiva doesn't even have the washer fluid system on the car, but since it gets parked for the winter I plan to leave it that way lol plus I don't think I'd have the room for it anymore haha
              Yeah, that turbo'd have to go!

Comment

You should be able to move the direction of the spray with a small wire or something. They rotate in the nozzle some
                Brian
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2274977

93 GL modyfied!!!
                :fish:

Comment

You could try to pinch the line somehow to restrict a little pressure so it is not as powerful.
                  2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
                  1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
                  1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

I use a safety pin to clean out the little holes in the nozzle and also to aim the nozzle.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Ford had a tool that fit into the spray holes, but I've never seen one in person. A very small pin should do it, but I've tried and couldn't get the nozzles to move much, if any.

I solved one sprayer problem by getting a new one from the 'yard and installing that. Yes, it's a pain. I should mod the hood supports to allow more room to do the removal and reinstallation. Just an idea.

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Thanks guys, sounds like rotating the nozzle rather than changing the angle is the key. I'm running a bit short on time before work today, but I'll give it a go tomorrow morning.

Comment

The little holes that the fluid comes out of are in the ball part of a ball-in-socket gizmo. Stick a needle or a straight pin in the hole and use it as a lever to rotate the ball in the socket until it is aimed where you want it.
                          Last edited by denguy; 01-26-2012, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Lube them first with a little wd...they'll move for you a lot easier.
                            97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                            CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                            Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Welding tip cleaners work good.
                              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                              X