Emergency override question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emergency override question

I'm worried that the insanely complicated shift lock mechanism ('92 auto)might leave me stranded in Park somewhere. In my FSM I read about the emergency override and went out to try it but don't know exactly what to do. Don't have owners manual.

I don't know if it's the same kind of deal as a Mazda 626, but in my Mazda I pulled the top of the column cover off and flipped the end of the cable off of the ignition switch.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I don't have an auto but I think there is a button to poke like with
      a pen at the bottom of the shifter. Shoot a pic..
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

If someone has an owner's manual for an automatic it might be in there somewhere. Meanwhile I'll carry the tools necessary for removing the cover.

Comment

I found an owner's manual in another car. It is not covered.

Comment

On all my autos I have disabled the lockout solenoid under there. Thats usually what causes the problems, I never figured out how to work that override thing either except one time in a junkyard car I tried what I had always tried before, just wiggling that little slide thingy back and forth, and magically it came loose lol. But to me disabling the solenoid is the best bet. My wife and I always use the parking brake in all of our cars anyway, and we know not to put it in gear unless the engine is running and foot on the brake (duh!). If I were to ever (God forbid) actually sell a festiva, then I would hook it back up before delivering to it's new owner.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

My auto has a small button/lever on the base of the shifter. Not sure what it's for as I can never get it to do anything. (haven't ever taken it apart that far.)

On mine:
              I know if you take the cable loose from the key switch the brake still has to be pressed to activate the cylinder to get it out of park.

Guess this makes it a dual locking process.
              (paperboy 23) 88 Festy Blue, aspire Engine/trans/efi swap,

Comment

The only function of the key switch cable is to make sure the car is in "park" before you turn off and take out the key. The switch cable doesn't affect being about to move the shifter, unless something else is wrong with the car. The lockout solenoid is what requires both the key to be turned on (electrically through the ignition switch itself, has nothing to do with that cable) and the brake to be pressed (again electrically, this time through the brake light switch). So if the solenoid dies, it will be stuck in park, or if the brake switch dies or becomes unplugged it will be stuck in park. Technically if the ignition switch didn't turn on, you would be stuck in park as well, but if the ignition switch/wiring died, you would have more to worry about than being stuck in park lol.
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

It lools like from the description of the system that if it loses power it will be stuck in Park. I don't see how disconnecting it would disable it. I'll try it.

Comment

I tried again to use the plastic sliding button to override stepping on the brake. I ended up breaking the button off. I tried disconnecting the harness but that didn't work. To get to the mechanism you have to remove the console which requires removing a seat. Then remove the cover. There is a sharp metal lever at the front right of the mechanism that must be pushed forward. It requires more effort than that flimsy button could handle. To remove the actuator there is 2 phillips screws but only one is accessible without an offset screwdriver. I will probably drill a hole where the button was to stick a screwdriver down there. In the meantime I'll carry a philips and a 14mm.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                      It lools like from the description of the system that if it loses power it will be stuck in Park. I don't see how disconnecting it would disable it. I'll try it.
                      I just said disable, never said disconnect. You are correct disconnecting will ensure that it will never release. I have gotten down there to disable them without ever removing a seat though.
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Originally posted by htchbck View Post
                        I just said disable, never said disconnect. You are correct disconnecting will ensure that it will never release. I have gotten down there to disable them without ever removing a seat though.
                        Do you remember what you did to disable it?

Comment

yep... take off the cover plate over the shifter and unbolt the solenoid. Unhook the end of the solenoid from the lockout lever that its attached to. Then you can unplug it
                          No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Thanx I'll try that.

Comment

Working...
                            X