Clutch Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Replacement

So about a week ago I start to hear the infamous rattling of the throughout bearing spinning freely while the clutch is depressed. I started my search on eBay for a good clutch kit that would get the job done and perhaps give me a little more performance for the rest of the upgrades I plan to do within the next few months.

I viewed a "Bahnhof" Stage 1 clutch kit on eBay and saw some good feedback on it. I decided to stop there because I also saw about 10 other brands compatible with my '91 Festiva.

Does anyone have some insight on my dilemma? I want an all around high quality, high performing clutch kit.

I started looking into this myself, the only clutch I've heard named specifically is the one from spec.

www.specclutch.com
    Stage 1 and Stage 2 available (whatever difference that makes.) They run $200 and $250 respectively.

Comment

[QUOTE=htc;484084]I started looking into this myself, the only clutch I've heard named specifically is the one from spec.

Thanks "htc". I will check them out promptly.

Comment

There may well be others out there. I've heard people talk about installing a "bigger" clutch, not sure of the application they used though, still looking.

Comment

Assuming you're still running the stock B3/E series trans...

Comment

I get the name brand from the store that will be machining
            my flywheel. The store here gives 10% off when you buy the parts
            too. That way I have warranty as well. Sachs and LUK are an example
            BUT a store will also warranty house brand which may not be up
            to your expectations.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

exedy clutches people were talking about as well.

you can use suzuki swift clutch for more gripping power, do a search on those...I think it's more than bolt on and go tho. If you have machine shop friends its a non-issue.
              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

The suzuki swift turbo clutch is what I use, and it's exedy brand. What has to be done is, the flywheel has a step in it (Yours may have already been removed on a previous resufacing) which needs to be ground down by the flywheel refinisher. Then, the pressure plate has to be mounted to new drilled and tapped holes in the flywheel, because the old b3 clutch holes are not in the right places. Then a little bit of material has to be taken off that center section of the clutch plate (where the throwout bearing pushes on) because the suzuki center is about 3/8" too thick. The clutch won't be able to disengage because of this thickness. Finally, you have to remove a wee bit of the inside of the trans up near the starter hole where the pressure plate touches it as it rotates, because the suzuki pressure plate is obviously a little beefier.
                I never compared a swift flywheel to a b3 flywheel, that might be worth a "look see"!?
                You know the pressure plate and clutch will fit, but you'd need to see the total outside diameter for starter/bell housing fit, and then the 6 bolt holes at the crank for compatability as well.
                My Exedy, She holds like an old maid on a Saturday night!
                Last edited by iceracerdude; 01-30-2012, 04:16 PM.
                97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by htc View Post
                  I started looking into this myself, the only clutch I've heard named specifically is the one from spec.

www.specclutch.com
                  Stage 1 and Stage 2 available (whatever difference that makes.) They run $200 and $250 respectively.
                  My B6 has a Spec Stage 1 pressure plate on an otherwise "normal" Festy clutch. This motor dynoed at 111 WHP (it was rear-turboed at the time) and the clutch would only slip in 5th, at 110 MPH. So a Stage 1 would be plenty for any B3, even a turboed one. Sachs and Exedy are about $100 at Rock Auto, for comparison.

Spec lists the Stage 1 for the Festy at $179: http://www.specclutches.com/spec_app...&o=2343&y=1990
                  Last edited by TominMO; 01-30-2012, 05:25 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
                  X