HELP: Problem removing alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP: Problem removing alternator

Yesterday my alternator went out on my way to work and made the day very stress full getting the rest of the way to work and then getting the car home after work. I have a 60mile one way trip to work and it died about exactly half way. Anyway, got it home and went to remove the alternator to take it in as a core to get a new one.

When I tried to remove it the swivel bolt at the bottom broke off and I think there is just a little bit of the threaded part sticking out into the bracket that it bolts to. Any suggestions on how to get this alternator out of there now? It got dark before I could mess with it much after it broke but just wandered if anyone else has had this problem and what will be the easiest way to get this alternator out.

Thanks a lot guys, I always get the information I need from these boards.

Hacksaw it, then buy a new alt and bolt, you may lose your core too, I bet you live in an area that salts roads.
    I'll never work on another damn car that been in salt, you might as well throw away the tools and get a cutting torch.
    97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
    92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
    95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

Yes I live in Ohio and they are always laying salt here, nothing you can do about it. I'll have to see if I can even get a hacksaw down in there... its really pretty tight. Does anyone know for sure if you would lose your core charge if you cut a part off? If so I guess I'll order one on-line somewhere that does not have a core. The core at Autozone on this thing is $50.

Any other suggestions before I cut this thing up?

Comment

maybe dumb idea but you could always try drilling the bolt. just use a bit same size or a little smaller than the center of the bolt. i've seen it done in other applications.

92l efi 240K+ stock

Comment

There was no way to get a drill down in there to drill it out.

I did get it out finally thought. One large hammer, one big piece of steal tube and a crowbar and it finally came out and the new one went in just fine. The old one sure was messed up pretty good but they still took it as a core.

There was still about 1/2inch of the bolt sticking out on the inside and that is why it was so much of a pain.

At least it is fixed now!! hehe

Comment

Good job!

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
            X