idle and timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle and timing?

my 89 auto i did a timing belt on and i am trying to set timing some people said to ground a wire but my manual says just to unplug single wire connector and vacuum lines and set to 2 degrees? the other problem im having is the only marks i see on crank pulley are 2 little grooves like a inch and a half apart which one am i supposed to be using? and last but not least in drive while warmed up my car idles at like 200 rpms and almost dies but never does is there a adjustment for idle one the fuel injected b3's planed on setting after i got ignition timing dialed in if it was adjustable

If it's idling different than before the belt change then you're probably a tooth off. Don't mess with the idle speed or ign timing until you have checked for this.

Comment

Put the engine back to top dead center and recheck your marks. I always spin the engine over by hand 2 full cranks to double check my marks are still accurate.
      1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

the idle is the same it sucked before dizy was restabed because i had to do a head-gasket now just trying to dial in timing

Comment

You didn't say anything in your post about a head gasket or dist R & R. Could not find timing info in Haynes. I would turn dist until car idles good and does not ping under acceleration.

Comment

Found the timing stuff in the Haynes. Unplug vac hose from dist and plug. No wires to unplug or ground. Set to TDC (T mark). Put white paint in notch on pulley.

Comment

Working...
            X