Shocks and struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks and struts

At 108 thousand miles I'm thinking it might be time to replace some parts in the suspension, aside from the tie rod ends I've already replaced. I had an alignment recently. I'm getting a slight shimmie a 60 and 70. I suspect this is suspension. Any advice? Thanks.

Balance your front tires. If you have more time than money, rotate them around until it doesn't shimmy. An out-of balance one on the rear will only vibrate.

Comment

As noted, it's probably a tire balance issue.

Also very important to check your ball joints to make sure they're solid and aren't ready to come out.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

high speed shimmy not a suspention issue: wheel is out of ballance. tires should be ballanced every 10k or once a year. tire balance changes as it wears.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Check your air pressure. My car is so light the tires don't look much different at 30# or 20#.

Comment

I seem to have a lot more problems with tire balance on 12" tires (first my Fiesta, then my Festiva) than with 15"< tires. Maybe it's the added rpm, maybe the smaller size doesn't adapt well to modern tire balance machines, not really sure. It may also be that most all of the 12" tires I've had were off-brand or of questionable build quality. I did have 1 set of Kelly Springfield 155/R12's that never needed a rebalance and lasted almost 60K miles.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
            X