Torn rear wheel cylinder boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn rear wheel cylinder boot

They have a kit with just the boot for $5 and a new caliper would run $24. I don't think it's leaking.. although if I pull the cover back brake cleaner runs out in a orangish color. Should I replace the whole caliper or just the boots. This would be the first time working on drum's. 91 stiva btw
    91 rusty Festiva 260k

you do mean wheel cylinder, don't you?

i would just replace both rear cylinders at the same time

because the new one might be a different diameter than the old one

then do a full brake bleed/flush

Comment

am i also going to have to reply to this on FAdotCOM???????

multi-board post HO!!!!!!

Comment

Ooops spent to much time working on the fronts I guess... yeah cylinders. Didn't think about the different sizes.. rockauto has them for 15 bucks a pop might as well replace both.
        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

The orange is rust, I think you will find them full of corrosion, I used to reseal them all the time, but I'm a cheap bastard. :lol:
          97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
          92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
          95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

Dad normally likes to be cheap.. I just told him this would be the best since he drives a 2-lane road everyday with no curbs. They were 14.52 a piece from rockauto.. also ordered the o2 sensor 16ish. All together with new outer wheel bearings and new stake nut and seals... somebody really didn't know what they were doing the last time they were repacked.. $115. In a way he's kinda wondering if it's worth it.. but I told him if he bought another car he'd just have to do the same. He should be able to get another 200k out of it.. if I could only get him to take care of it.
            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

any other car car ,

expect to pay twice that amount, for normal maintenance items

Comment

Yeah even the aspire is higher on those parts. I need to do the same things he's doing to his festiva on my festiva and the aspire. I'm already scared.. the control arms on the aspire is twice the price of the festiva's.
                91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

even at,

dare i say?????

FMS? :shock:

Comment

Yup that's the price I was going by. The aspire's are 150 and the festiva's was 75 I think.
                    91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

There are lower control arms on Ebay right now.
                      97 Ford Aspire 2dr 5 sp
                      92 Isuzu Impulse 1.8 5 sp 140HP, handling by Lotus, balls by Isuzu.
                      95 Mitsubishi Expo 2.4
                      http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...64/xsext2a.jpg

Comment

Yeah the one's on right now have you checked the shipping? A little on the high side.. coming from chicago to kc that doesn't make since. It will be in the fall when I replace them.. the aspire's are worse than the stiva's due to the years being pulled on all 4's behind a motorhome
                        91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Wow ordered the cylinders on Saturday.. so the order technically didn't go through till Monday and they showed up this morning. Of course they came from st. louis... just have to see when the 02 sensor shows up from rockauto (shipped from another warehouse).
                          91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

So I have both new cylinders couple questions.. Can I replace the cylinder without removing the shoes. It looks like I might be able to, although it looks easier to just remove the shoe and be done with it. Next question.. Should I bleed the brakes after each side or just replace both and then bleed everything? My gut says do both then bleed.
                            91 rusty Festiva 260k

Comment

Working...
                            X