alternator help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator help please.

The owner I bought my festiva from just replaced the alternator. It was fine at first but the v belt cut into the plastic cover on the side of the engine. It squeals horribly and belt has been contaminated by oil. I wanted to know if anyone has had this problem or knows the exact length and thickness for the belt. I've gone to the autoparts stores and they always give me the wrong one.

Show a good picture, It's sounds like something was done wrong and just replacing the belt may not fix the problem.
    97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
    CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
    Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Its a little dark but I will take a pic now. How do I post a pic?

Comment

You need to open an account at a picture hosting site like Image shack.
        I'm imagining the previous owner leaving one of the bolts out when the replacement alternator was reinstalled, causing it to eventually get missaligned, shredding the belt and cover in the process.
        Last edited by iceracerdude; 02-15-2012, 07:04 PM.
        97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
        CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
        Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

From what I saw there are 3 bolts on it but the belt was not tensioned right

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

There are 2 bolts holding the alternator and 4 holding the top cover. One of the cover bolts is under the water pump pulley. The cover might be warped or some bolts missing. Where did the oil come from? Because there isn't any behind the cover unless there's a leak. Make sure everything is clearing with a crappy belt before you put a new one on.

Comment

EH, it's nothin! I just went through that with Twizted, it will quit in a day or so. It's a common issue. There is nothing wrong with the alternator, belt or water pump.
                    Last edited by kartracer46; 02-15-2012, 08:00 PM.
                    91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                    82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
                    85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

i think it came from the valve cover or that plastic cover. i will check more thoroughly tomorrow. will the cover for the aspire fit since they have the same engines? the pull apart only has an aspire, i couldnt find a festiva anywhere.

Comment

@kartracer46....are you sure because its been acting up for like a week and you can smell the plastic. theres also oil on the belt and a little on the alt pulley.

Comment

Yes the aspire cover will fit, If nothing else take off the top half of the cover and run it a few days. I would be willing to bet the cam seal is weeping a bit. You will see the trail down over the water pump if it is. If it is not then the crank seal may be your culprit for the small bit of oil.
                          91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                          85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

great thanks one more thing. if its weeping a bit could i get a higher viscosity oil till i get the seal(s) replaced? she only has 73k on her.

Comment

Originally posted by crzylatina25 View Post
                              great thanks one more thing. if its weeping a bit could i get a higher viscosity oil till i get the seal(s) replaced? she only has 73k on her.
                              Add some CD2 in the black bottle for a few oil changes, it may soften the seal up good enough till you can get it replaced.
                              91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
                              85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Working...
                              X