road noise when driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• road noise when driving

I have noticed a slight roaring noise when driving now. Thought it was my old tires (they were about worn out) had them replaced but noise still there. Noise does go away when steering wheel is turned slightly to the left, but not when turned to the right. Had the car on jack stands and check rear wheels, did not appear to have any noise or play in them. jacked up front end and place on jack stand, ran the car on the stands and could not hear any noise from the front either. At a loss right now on what it may be, any ideas would be helpful Thanks.

Left rear wheel bearings would be the most likely suspect. Next most likely is probably left front.
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Have to second the rear bearing as the culprit.
      But should have detected some play.
      Spinning up the front tires even with bad bearings will not produce a noise because you have no load on them.
      Also, if you decide to do the rear bearing and this is your only car, get the bearings first, because if the bearings have failed you may not get it back together to drive it to the Mcparts store.
      This is the voice of experience!
      Only other advice is to use Timkin bearings.
      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
      '92 Aqua parts Car
      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
      Your holy ghost will not save you.
      Your God plutonium will not save you.
      In fact...
      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Oh and also, if it is the bearings, do both sides together, even if you don't notice any problems with the other side.
        No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Try shoving and pulling on top of back wheel to check for worn bearing play. Relase parking brake to avoid confusing brake noise with bearing play.

bearing job photos http://www.photobucket.com/Festiva-backwheel to save you searching
          Last edited by WmWatt; 02-21-2012, 11:28 AM.
          Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, I will try to look at the bearings first chance I get this week. Luckly I do have another car that I can drive back and forth to work.

Comment

Working...
            X