Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aerostar 4.0, changed coil, still has a persistant miss, ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aerostar 4.0, changed coil, still has a persistant miss, ideas?

Changed my coil because I had a miss and 2 of the plugs had gas on them so I figured hey, the coil must be bad. So I changed it but it's still there. I unplugged the MAF and it didn't change idle or how it ran at all. Any ideas?
    Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"
    1984 Toyota Cressida - 2JZGE Swap, Turbocharged.
    2013 Mazda Mazda2 - Exhaust and Wheels (the daily)
    2002 Toyota Tundra - V6/Auto/2WD - The Tow Vehicle.

Those are bad for vacuum leaks..Safety thing..you replaced any bad ignition parts
    right? Wires, plugs and cap..No possible sparks. Have a fire extinguisher handy
    in case you might have missed something. Use a can of carb cleaner spray or a
    unlighted propane torch..direct fuel near possible vacuum leaks with engine idling.
    When fuel is near a vacuum leak the leak will pull the fuel into the engine and smooth
    out the engines rough idle. Repair leak and retest. Absolutely do not do this if you
    are not confident about sparks. There are other methods such as vacuum hoses
    in your ear and directed toward the possible leak but do not use these as ear damage
    could happen. Please look carefully first as this id the safest method.

Other possible causes you have not checked yet include compression, damaged crank
    sensor, valve seal making carbon in injector pocket, and faulty injector or circuit.

I absolutely did not suggest soaking 100% of your brothers clothing in a full can
    of carb cleaner and burning them in front of the house while he is in the shower.
    Just load that van and get gone!
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Well, it's definitely cylinder number 5. We can manually click the fuel injector, but fuel isn't going into the cylinder I think. Maybe the computer isn't firing it. We got spark and compression. Any ideas?
      Current cars:

1993 Ford Festiva 5-Speed - Festiclese III - Cousin of the Banhammer - "The Jalopnik Car"

Comment

Sounds like its clogged happen on my Harley truck, Try to clean it or get one at the yard
        -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Ignition control module?
          Buck.
          -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
          -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
          -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Checked. It's good.
            Current cars:

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL View Post
              Sounds like its clogged happen on my Harley truck, Try to clean it or get one at the yard
              Well I'm in trouble if so, cause I can't remove the engine to take it out.
              Current cars:

Comment

They come out..without pulling engine
                make a hole big enough to pull the plenum
                through at the front of the engine.
                Last edited by Movin; 03-01-2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

do you have power to that injector?
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The injectors are fired 3 at a time. The red wire supplies power and the tan
                    wire with whatever color stripe is grounded by the computer, 3 at a time.

Have you identified which cylinder is dead ?

You will need to know that so you can replace only one injector. You will
                    need a upper plenum gasket and patience to remove the upper plenum.

If you have to test the injectors, you can leave them clips to the fuel
                    rail, lift them from the lower intake and put a paper towel under each
                    injector then crank the engine to make them squirt fuel onto the towel

Unplug the primary of the coil and take all safety precautions with fuel.

It is kind of a drag to pull all that so you want to make sure you have
                    spark and compression in the dead cylinder before doing all that...I hate to
                    say it again, but no vacuum leaks!! either.

It is fun diagnosing stuff, keep us informed!!

Comment

There is about an inch between the firewall and the plenum, and the plenum has studs going through it, I don't see how it's going to come out without the engine at least lowered. It's definitely number 5, it's the only cylinder that doesn't change the miss at all when you remove the spark plug wire. It has spark and compression (120 across the board) on that cylinder. Where did you get the info that 3 injectors fire at the same time? I can't find that information anywhere.
                      Current cars:

Comment

it's called batch fire, my fiero has it too. that's why i asked about power to the injector.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I usually strip what I can off the front, bungees are useful to hold things
                          back out of the way. I have not dropped mounts but that might make it
                          easier if you are using non powered ratchets.

Info...I pay for access to all manufacturers published information and
                          access to a data base of common problems with vehicles experienced
                          by techs. I did not see your year in this thread, I used '90.

Comment

Moved to the repair help section where it belongs

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

I have alldata too, lol. It makes stuff a lot more simpler than what it is.
                              Current cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X