correct wiring for ignition coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• correct wiring for ignition coil

I had installed an aftermarket coil less than a year ago and it went bad (no spark and seeping oil around the top). I have a new MSD coil and I want to make sure I have it wired properly. Which wires connect to the positive post and which to the negative post? I'm guessing I wired the last one wrong or maybe I need to install a ballast resistor (MSD instructions states to install the resistor on a stock points ignintion and also states to use it on any stock ignition). It's a 1988 Festiva.
    Last edited by angrygocart; 02-27-2012, 06:34 PM.

nothing was wrong, just a bad coil. same issue with Scrappy, just replace the coil.

this is all under the assumption that you didn't change anything from the factory coil wiring.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
      this is all under the assumption that you didn't change anything from the factory coil wiring.
      That's what I want to check, to make sure I didn't hook it up wrong. Could you tell me which color wires goto the positive post and which to the negative?

Comment

The wire that goes to the distributor goes to the negative side of the coil.
        You gonna race that thing?
        http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Working...
        X