Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Delivery Issues

Hey guys.

88 Festiva. I've had trouble with fuel pressure. Under a load, it bogs down unless I rev it up. I have to slip the clutch too much to start from a stop. Fuel filter does not fill up. Not even 1/4 of the way. Replaced manual pump. Didn't work. So I thought maybe the lobe on the cam was worn down. Installed an electric pump. Same exact issue. Checked fuel line, and cleaned out with compressed air. Same problem. Replaced all fuel line. Same problem. Checked inside of tank and blew air threw sending unit. Nothing. Filter looks squeaky clean.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    "Performance over Comfort"

88 LX with 1.3 Liters of FURY......And a dent in the fender.....

Before there were computers, there were vacuum lines

your accel pump in the carb has given out, OR your vac advance in the dizzy isn't working... also, are you sure you don't have the filter on backward? or comming from the wrong hose?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

My is having some similar problems. I m gonna keep an eye on this topic.

89 Festiva. carby. needs repairs!!
      First time owner
      89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
      Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

what festYboy says!
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          your accel pump in the carb has given out, OR your vac advance in the dizzy isn't working... also, are you sure you don't have the filter on backward? or comming from the wrong hose?
          Checked the fuel filter and replaced the "brand new one", with a brand new one. It is on the right way, as that was the first thing I checked. What do you mean "in the dizzy'?

Comment

They talk east coast talk on here..disty, and dizzy are slang
            for ignition distributor.

Air trapped in your fuel filter is normal, don't worry about it.

ignition and cam timing, are things to check for lack of bottom
            end power. After you check what festYboy said.

Comment

Thanks. I've usually always noticed a small amount of air in the fuel filter in any vehicle i've had, but this time it has just been a trickle of fuel. With a manual or electric pump. It's the same. I just dont have a lack of bottom end power, but a fall flat on the face wanna die lack of power. Then it catches itself just when it's ready to die. Fuel filter always looks 90% dry. I did a head gasket replacement earlier, so I'll try to check and make sure the vacuum lines are on properly. And check the accelerator pump. I appreciate your guys' input. Thanks.

Comment

Look in the carb throat while opening throttle (engine off). Look for spray.

Comment

Float, needle and seat may be restricting fuel , can you see fuel
                  in a little window down on the side??

Comment

Spray is present with engine off in the rear primary. Nothing in the front. Never looked in that window before, but it looks full as best as I can tell. Not really sure.

Comment

Front is secondary, no spray.

Comment

Carb seems to have gas and accel pump is working. Suck on dist vac hose with cap off and look for movement.

Comment

What type of movement am I looking for?

Comment

A little arm coming out of the vacuum advance should be attached to the round plate
                            under the rotor. The "breaker plate" should rotate back and forth as you apply suction
                            and release. There should not be any free play in the plate, the only motion should
                            be controlled by the advance.

If your car has no vacuum to the advance when you step on the gas this will
                            produce the same result, no advance when you need it and the fire goes out.

This advance is on top of the advance you set when you do the "timing"

Comment

Working...
                            X