Squealing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squealing belt

So i'm starting to get kind pissed at this squealing belt. It started squealing so I tightened and it went away then came back a couple days later. I figured its probably a super old belt I'll put a new one on. So i pull the old one off it looks pretty rough I figure that has to be it. No squeal then I start getting a squeal with the new one. So I figure I just need to tighten I do that it goes away then it comes back. Its weird when it does it. Usually after I have driven for a while and stop like to say to pick my boy up for a few minutes then get in and start it up. It will squeal for about 5 seconds then goes away. Doesn't ever do it after its been setting for a good while either. Its got me baffled. Any ideas?
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Cold, damp winter atmosphere? I'd try wiping the belt and pulleys.
    Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

It hasn't really that damp and wet here though its been a real dry winter. I'll pull it this weekend and wipe them down and see if that helps any.

Comment

I had a lot of belt issues with my festiva, I snapped a lot of them. I heard from a friend that someone in the past had a lot of issues with the pulley cover, it was warped which caused the belt to rub on the plastic cover which lead to wear / slip then finally to snap.

Other than that, I'd assume one of your pulleys are worn or slipping?
        1979 Civic - Work in Progress http://myhondafestish.tumblr.com/

Comment

Never had a belt snap but the alt belt has to be pretty tight.
          Leaking oil from somewhere and whisping into the belt area
          will make easier than normal slippage.
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Both of my drivers squeal for a few seconds after starting because the alt is pulling hard to recharge the bat. I'll live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
              Both of my drivers squeal for a few seconds after starting because the alt is pulling hard to recharge the bat. I'll live with it.
              See I kind of think that has something to do with it. Because I've noticed if I leave the lights on or something and the battery goes dead it squeals longer. I don't know but it pisses me off and it doesn't do it everytime.

Comment

If mine squeals at all I either pull the cat out of it or
                tighten the belt, It doesn't need it more than once
                a 20K or so.

Comment

I have this problem right now. For me it's about the timing belt cover rubbing against the pulley, and maybe against the belt in the lower portion. I replaced the belt once and it snapped in a few hours.

I'd say you might try it out with no TB cover? That's what I'll do for sure.
                  J-S

'93L "Pepestiva" - 160 miles old Road Slave

Comment

If the cover is that warped and not missing any bolts it needs to
                    be removed. You can replace it if you can find one.

Comment

Originally posted by crusher773 View Post
                      So i'm starting to get kind pissed at this squealing belt. It started squealing so I tightened and it went away then came back a couple days later. I figured its probably a super old belt I'll put a new one on. So i pull the old one off it looks pretty rough I figure that has to be it. No squeal then I start getting a squeal with the new one. So I figure I just need to tighten I do that it goes away then it comes back. Its weird when it does it. Usually after I have driven for a while and stop like to say to pick my boy up for a few minutes then get in and start it up. It will squeal for about 5 seconds then goes away. Doesn't ever do it after its been setting for a good while either. Its got me baffled. Any ideas?
                      The bearings in the Alt are bad. When you stop they get heat soaked.Making matters worse. When it sits it has enought time to cool off. Jus a thought....
                      Pull the alt out and spin the shaft. Does it Sound Smooth or Sound Grindy?
                      Last edited by nitrofarm; 02-29-2012, 04:16 PM.
                      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
                      X