Carby Acting up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carby Acting up

Hey, I havn't had time to look into it since it just happend today but, my festy runs like it's been cammed. Stumbles on idle, but has plenty of power, as long as the pedal is in control it doesn't stumble. Any ideas?

Thanks, Mike
    Mike Holmgren
    Thief Rvr Fls, MN
    1989 Festiva L, carb. 4 spd.
    "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

slow idle circuit clogged, or you're developing a vaccum leak (look for leaks first).
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

This thread should be posted in the repair forum so it gets the attention it needs.
      Last edited by kartracer46; 03-01-2012, 07:22 PM.
      91 Festiva GL "Scrat"
      82 Honda Goldwing GL1100i
      85 BMW 535is "Brunhild"

Comment

Got it moved to the correct place.

Take it back to the back porch, join the 3 string revolution.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          slow idle circuit clogged, or you're developing a vaccum leak (look for leaks first).
          Okay, tomorow I'll have to start looking for leaks . I know these things are a tough project, but would it be time to take it off and attempt to go through it? It is 20 years old so I'm sure it could use a carb cleaning.. Just worried, haha.

Thanks, and sorry about posting in the wrong area.

Mike
          Mike Holmgren
          Thief Rvr Fls, MN
          "If at first you don't succeede, get a bigger hammer. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway."

Comment

I was able to take the top of mine off, without removing it from the intake, and do a fairly good job of cleaning it. However, I was not able to grow the material back around the the shaft that runs through the bottom of the carb.

Do as suggested above. But, while you are under there, gently grab the cam on your carb that the throttle cable connects to, and see if you have any play. This was the problem for my carb. Mine had what seemed like a 1/4 inch of play in it, moving it from the direction of the firewall, to the front of the car. This did not help idle at all.

Comment

When I first had my car, it would always hesitate, especially in second gear. I changed just about everything and rebuilt the carb. Still did it. Most frustrating thing ever. Finally I decided to change the oxygen sensor and viola, that did it. I think it gives a false reading to the feedback carb and makes it run way too lean, which will cause hesitation. Good luck!

Comment

What ever the weak link is the whole chain is no good till you find it!!
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Well maybe some of you remember when my head liner was stained, and over night it disappeard. Well it now runs just fine, fixed itself again, lol. I'm guessing things just need to be cleaned up, but I won't know for sure until I have time to spend on it. Ill inform when I get to lookin.
                  Thanks, Mike
                  Mike Holmgren
                  Thief Rvr Fls, MN

Comment

Like festyboy says, vacuum hoses first, check diaphrams too, like vacuum advance.
                    Your vacuum idle bump solenoid may have been stuck open or had dust in it.

The FI has logic that cuts fuel if the idle is set to high then turns it back on
                    when the rpm falls into the expected range. I don't know about the carbies for
                    sure but they could also cut idle fuel with the idle fuel solenoid if the idle is set
                    high.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

ours only have a fuel cut solenoid (for anti-dieseling), the a/f control reverts to the ABC valve and the factory jetting.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                      X