Valve spring compressor-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve spring compressor-

Whats everyones fav valve spring compressor? And can they be used on the B3 AND BP. Also for the valve stem seals what do guys like to use? Thanks for the input !
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

I don't know about the b3, but the BP requires a special tool.... I had to rent a $70 compressor from advance that wraps around the whole head then cut the side of a spark plug socket to get it apart. I wrapped the socket with some layers of black tape to keep from scratching the lifter bores.

Id say the b3 would be easy to get apart...

I believe I got felpro valve stem seals.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Same as zoom except I have a giant c clamp..and regular valve spring
      compressors that stay on the peg board for a lot of these new cars.
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Never messed with the BP, but I bought the $10 valve spring compressor from Harbor Freight to use on my SOHC B6. You got to have it positioned just perfect, but it does actually work to remove springs, even with the head still on the car. I also have a professional C-clamp style compressor, but I can't seem to find it.
        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
          I don't know about the b3, but the BP requires a special tool.... I had to rent a $70 compressor from advance that wraps around the whole head then cut the side of a spark plug socket to get it apart. I wrapped the socket with some layers of black tape to keep from scratching the lifter bores.

Id say the b3 would be easy to get apart...

I believe I got felpro valve stem seals.
          So your saying you had to cut a portion off a deep well 13/16" socket? Was this so you could get a wrench throught this slot?

Comment

Originally posted by blkfordsedan View Post
            Never messed with the BP, but I bought the $10 valve spring compressor from Harbor Freight to use on my SOHC B6. You got to have it positioned just perfect, but it does actually work to remove springs, even with the head still on the car. I also have a professional C-clamp style compressor, but I can't seem to find it.
            Thanks,so for the B3, I can use the cheapo from Harbor Freight.

Comment

I just rented one form autozone to change the valve seals on my b3. It worked great but plan on removing your intake manifold or at least TB to get to 3 of the 4 valves on the intake side. 100% free
              2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
              1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
              1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

A DOHC head is way different than an SOHC head, this is what I use, the little cylindrical shape is just a section of conduit coupler without the set screws in it. You can pick up the coupler at a Menards or Lowes for like 0.50

97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

That's the same compressor I used, and yes, I cut a deep well socket.. I would have done it iceracerdudes way BUT I didn't.

I cut it so I could remove the keepers when they popped out, with a magnet. The black tape served two purposes keeping keepers from flying across the room

There's also a trick which wasn't told to me beforehand for getting the keepers loose before you compress the springs, I didn't do it so I don't know it, maybe someone will be nice and prewarn you... I did some barbaric stuff with a hammer after half compressing the springs to get them to pop loose, it was scary...
                  Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-02-2012, 04:31 PM.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

The end that goes on the spring side of the head has a split foot. In fact if you look at the second picture closer, you can see a secondary larger spare set of split feet hanging off a hair pin.
                    Anyway, I just place the coupler in the center of the split foot first, then onto the top of the valve retainer.
                    Do the compression, and then just reach down through the split foot and into the coupler for the keepers. The beauty of my system is, if I manage to fumble one, or even both of the keepers, it stays within the coupler!
                    Man, I coulda been an Engineer if my folks woulda just applied themselves better in school, you know, and got better jobs!
                    Last edited by iceracerdude; 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Yea I blame my parentals too..its all their faUlt I kant do nuthin rite.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Originally posted by iceracerdude View Post
                        The end that goes on the spring side of the head has a split foot. In fact if you look at the second picture closer, you can see a secondary larger spare set of split feet hanging off a hair pin.
                        Anyway, I just place the coupler in the center of the split foot first, then onto the top of the valve retainer.
                        Do the compression, and then just reach down through the split foot and into the coupler for the keepers. The beauty of my system is, if I manage to fumble one, or even both of the keepers, it stays within the coupler!
                        Man, I coulda been an Engineer if my folks woulda just applied themselves better in school, you know, and got better jobs!
                        Ok Gottcha,so you can use like a pencil magnet and pull the keepers out from the piece of conduit coupler.

Comment

Zackly!

Comment

Working...
                          X