Starter issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter issue?

So, generally the Festy is running well. But every once in a while, the starter for whatever reason, just seems to drag. Now, I have had starters that you had to hit a couple of times before they would start a car, but they didn't drag. They either turned, or they didn't. My battery is strong enough to keep it turning, but not quick enough to start the car. I can go back later, and it is like it never happened.

So, symptoms are, random dragging (cold motor/hot motor) and car won't start. It seems like a starter issue to me, but perhaps some of you have seen this before, and know better? Could it be maybe that I need to just take it apart and clean it?

Thoughts please.

Get a junk yard starter.

Comment

Every once in a rare while (maybe one out of a hundred starts) my starter will grind instead of engaging. I just (with the key off) put it in reverse, push the clutch down with my right foot, push the car backwards with my left, and then release the clutch. This rotates the engine to the next tooth on the flywheel gear and then the starter works fine.

I suspect a bad spot on the gear as it's been doing this for three years and has never gotten any worse.

Comment

Check both ends of both battery cables for clean, no rust and tight connections
        If okay replace starter ..
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

That was pretty much the answer I suspected Movin. As soon as the tornados pass by, I will go take a closer look. But, I suspect it is going to be a starter replacement in the end.

Thanks guys.

Comment

Check engine grounds too
            -Zack
            Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Connections were good, replaced starter. Funny, until I heard the new starter, I didn't realize, the old one was dragging the whole time. Slow sounded "normal" to me, and cranked the car. But REALLY slow, just turned the motor. The new one spins her with authority, and at a very high rate.

Comment

Awesome! Don't feed the tornado's!
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Thank you Movin. In a strong wind, I'm not sure if I should hug the Festy, or it hold me.

Comment

Working...
                  X