vaf meter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vaf meter

my 1993 gl sputters and shutters when going on the uphill and the on ramp of the highway when cold but works well on strait away driving. sometimes stalls when pulling out of driveway. could it be vaf meter ? why does this only do it when cold and on an incline?

try looking at your coolant temperature sensor for the ECU first

Comment

sensor

i have to locate my Haynes Manuel but where is this sensor located at?

Comment

On the thermostat water neck. It has the flat blade connector.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

vaf

thanks for the info! next month is emissions test so i hope it will pass after fixing this problem

Comment

sensor

is the coolant temperature sensor for the ecu located on the back of the engine near the intake. the one on the thermostat is the one for the fan correct?

Comment

Re: sensor

Originally posted by miami man
              is the coolant temperature sensor for the ecu located on the back of the engine near the intake. the one on the thermostat is the one for the fan correct?
              there is 2 side by side on the front, next to and in the thermostat cover

the one in the back is the oil pressure sending unit

Comment

vaf meter

well i replaced the sensors and still the problem. getting spark to the plugs but will not start. yesterday after about 10 tries it started ran rough for about 5 minuts then cleared up and ran well. turned it off and restarted with no problem. today it will not start. it seems to do this when sitting overnight.

Comment

vaf meter

i jiggled the fusable links and it started on the fist time and kept running good. turned it off and it restarted with no problems..maybe it is the weather because it has been cold and damp outside. i have a damaged hood on the car and the side with the vaf meter is on the dood is raised a bit could water or something be getting on the meter to make it act weird?
                  i have not seen water on it but before i was not reallylooking.

Comment

I replied in the other post, but yes, maybe take your hood off and bend it back so it seals better. Or use some other shielding around your VAF.

I'm betting it's primarily your distributor cap though. You might need a new cap and rotor as well.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

vaf

it rained last night and car will not start at all so i will replace hood and change distibuter cap and roter as well.

Comment

vaf

i think karl was right about distibuter cap. it looked good from the outside and the inner but i bought a new one anyway. as i took the wire from the coil terminal of the cap it was stuck and finally i pulled the wire leaving the brass connector of the wire left in the cap. after about ten minuts of trying to get the brass conector out i pulled it out and it was all green from corrosion. hopefully it is the end of my problems and it started and runs like new.

Comment

Working...
                        X