Fuel Pump Electrical Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump Electrical Issues

My fuel pump has been acting strangely lately.

I was teaching a friend how to drive a manual in an abandoned parking lot in my 1991 Festiva L EFI. After about ten minutes of the stalling out and jerky starts that come with a new driver, the engine pooped out.

When I try to restart it, the engine turns over and starts for half a second or so and then it dies. I started by blowing the fuel lines to clear and possible blockage and that did not fix it. I did some diagnosing and discovered that the fuel pump runs only when the ignition is in "start". When the ignition is in the "on" position, the fuel pump shuts off and the engine dies.

I checked the inertia switch and it is fine. I have read about the VAF being a potential foul up but I honestly don't know what to look for when checking it. Am I on the right track? Any ideas?

The flap in the vaf has to open for the pump to work so check the vaf plug realy good .
    And make sure the tubing has no air leaks too.
    These guys here will help you for sure .If you put your location in your sig somebody may live close by and can come help you out. good luck
    Donn

Comment

Working...
    X