stuck spark plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck spark plug

My #1 cylinder has a spark plug that has fused in. (yeah. Previous owners neglected proper maintenance) Bolt pattern is rounded over. I really don't want to pull the head. Any sugge
    stions?

spray with PB Blaster every day Twice a day for a few days.

Does it run?
    If it does, let it heat-up then use an impact socket of the appropriate size.
    Impact sockets apply force to the flats.
    Better if you can use say a 1/4" impact gun with an adapter to your impact socket.
    This way you run less of a risk of taking the aluminum threads out with the spark plug.
    You may also want to attempt to tighten the plug first before trying to back it out.
    If it moves at all, use more BP blaster, let it soak and for 1/2 hour then try to back it out.

Let us know if this works for you.

Of course you know you maybe looking at a helical anyway if the threads are destroyed.
    Good luck and don't rush this!
    Patience in this particular endeavor will be rewarded.

Also, put your location in your profile, it help if someone is near by.
    they may consider dropping by and giving you a hand with this.
    If you don't know how to do this PM me!
    Last edited by Pu241; 03-06-2012, 04:42 PM.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

heat and PB are your friend, if it comes down to it, you can always snap the tip off the plug and use a turbo socket to remove it, OR (though i don't suggest it) snap the tip off then punch the ceramic in and use an EZ-out to remove it. once the offending plug is removed, leave the hole open and run the engine for half a second to blow out any debris.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

make the easy out your last route, I tried it once and it didn't turn out too well.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Same thing happend to my festiva the original owners never changed plugs I got the car at 112.500 miles 4 yrs ago . Had to put in a helicol @ # 3 plug .:eeeeeek:

B
          Only a few and the proud drive Festivas !

Comment

Paging John Gunn.........hello??

Comment

Some spark plug sockets are concave for some reason and barely grab the plug. Grind it down a little so it grabs if that is the case. Put new plug in socket to check that rubber insert is not interfering. Also check if socket is too thick and rubs head recess. Break loose with impact, spray PB, and screw it back in by hand. Repeat.

Comment

I had one snap off with minimal effort[rusted plug body a factor] during a "routine" tuneup 17 years ago in my 92 Festy right after I bought it used, 45k miles. It was running great but I was going to "do it right" and changeout everything. Nightmare. I wanted to fix it right without endangering that cylinder's integrity so I ended up pulling the head. Plug was fused in, #1 I think. Ended up using a saber saw blade to to cut in sideways in four or five places and then prick punching the segments inward to break them free. The kicker was that the original plugs looked like new. There was enuff thread left to hold a new plug which I liberally doused with antiseize as I did all the others. Cost some money. Now has 120k miles on those plugs and runs fine. Moral of the story is if you can still get your plugs out put some antiseize on them.

Comment

What is it with the #3 spark plug? Mine is the same way. Had to use a breaker bar to get it out. Put in new plugs 1 1/2 yr ago. It was tough to get out then. Changed plugs last week and was wondering if I was going to get it out. There was some aluminum on the plug threads, but the new plug went in okay. (with anti-seize of course!) Used it last time too, but it was still stuck this time.
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Thanks everybody for your advice on my stuck spark plug. My Festiva is a '92 gl with 71,000. Was Moms, then sisters, then niece's. Been shipped all over the country. Perfect condition. White paint, auto,no rust. I LOVE it! Best car I've ever owned.

Comment

Did you get it out, with out damage to the threads?
                      '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                      '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                      '92 Aqua parts Car
                      '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                      '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                      Your holy ghost will not save you.
                      Your God plutonium will not save you.
                      In fact...
                      ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Working...
                      X