help...Front end bounces.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help...Front end bounces.

My front end started to bounce/vibrate at all speeds faster gets worse. I changed my CV axle twice in case the new one was bent too. I also isolated the bouncing to the drivers side, jacked the fron end off the ground and locke the passenger tire and watched the cv axle spin alone with the tire, without the tire and simply suspended with a string and bounce, bounce bounce! I removed the cv axle and watched the female threaded opening in the transmission rotate and it appeared to have an eliptical rotation. Of special note here is that I had to drop my transmission to remove the CV axle. I tried everything even a 10lb slide hammer, knocking the shaft from the other side...worried I did damage. By the way if your snap ring gets buggered in the case, you are f-bomed!!! terrible design even with the transmission removed, you will not get the ring out without grinding the axle off and pushing it thru to remove the gearing mechanisim to get to the pin. Please please any help out there would be great. Thanks
    Fester 1991 100k and runnin Woot!!

There is suppose to be a shim between the side gear in the trans and the differential. Have you ever had the trans apart? Maybe something happened to that shim and is causing the gear to tilt or sit unevenly?
    2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
    1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
    1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Originally posted by Emerson View Post
      My front end started to bounce/vibrate at all speeds faster gets worse. I changed my CV axle twice in case the new one was bent too. I also isolated the bouncing to the drivers side, jacked the fron end off the ground and locke the passenger tire and watched the cv axle spin alone with the tire, without the tire and simply suspended with a string and bounce, bounce bounce! I removed the cv axle and watched the female threaded opening in the transmission rotate and it appeared to have an eliptical rotation. Of special note here is that I had to drop my transmission to remove the CV axle. I tried everything even a 10lb slide hammer, knocking the shaft from the other side...worried I did damage. By the way if your snap ring gets buggered in the case, you are f-bomed!!! terrible design even with the transmission removed, you will not get the ring out without grinding the axle off and pushing it thru to remove the gearing mechanisim to get to the pin. Please please any help out there would be great. Thanks
      Yes,I would say you damaged your dif carrier bearing from beating on it with 10lb hammer. And the axles come out easy. Its not a bad design. It just requires an understanding of exactly how the spring will pop out of the groove. It must be seated in the groove straight not at an angle. Then very little force is required.The greater the angle of the axle in relationship to clip/groove. The greater the required force. You need to access the diff & replace the bearings. They are cheap,but a pain to get at.
      Last edited by nitrofarm; 03-07-2012, 07:40 AM.
      Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
      Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
      Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
      X