rear hatch doesn't open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear hatch doesn't open

How it the world do I remove the latch assembly? It doesn't open using the handle on the back and I don't even know if its locked or not because the lock mechanism just spins in circle when trying the key.
    Early 99 F350 ex. cab longbox Powerstroke 6 spd, manual tranfer case and hubs 190k
    2009 ford flex
    2002 ford Ranger 4.0l, 6" lift, 35x12.50x15 super swampers
    1994 F150 4.9l, 5spd, 2wd
    1988 Festiva 1.3l, 4 spd, 184k

crawl into the back and remove the panel on the hatch and try to manually open it that way
    1991 stiva.

Comment

I just reach up through the access door the Michigan road salt hath provided.

Comment

You may have to little locker flap switch thing (on the bottom of the hatch near the latch) swithed on or off, mine wont open if I engage it. Pull the interior panels off and pull on the rods to unlock it, you may have to use a flatblade screwdriver to pick the latch from inside.
        '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

The thing you flip on the bottom of the hatch door that locks the door so its already
          locked when you shut it..Grocerys in your hands, storming kind of thing. flip it the other way and it unlocks
          Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
            The thing you flip on the bottom of the hatch door that locks the door so its already
            locked when you shut it..Grocerys in your hands, storming kind of thing. flip it the other way and it unlocks

That makes sense lol. Mine on the other hand is the "You're never going to open this hatch ever again switch" LOL
            '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

My hatch key lock seized years ago and I merely reach in through the back seat to flip the little visible ear on the latch from inside to unlock the hatch. You do the reverse to lock when closing the gate. No muss no fuss. I can take a picture if necessary but if anyone takes a look at the latch while it's open you can easily determine how and why it works.

Comment

You do NOT have to remove the panel to unlock. You can see the lock lever between the hatch and the car. A flat screwdriver can unlock it.
                youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

neanderpaul is correct. No disassembly required. But you may want to start keeping a keychain flashlight to help find the lock-unlock tab in low light or darkness.

Comment

I just got mad and kicked it from inside the car untill it opened. Lol part reason im not going to school to be a mechanic anymore, iget to angry and break stuff
                    :cry_smile: RIP. 91 Ford festiva BP swap

1990 Mazda Miata BP swap, 99 trans, 3.9 Torsen rear end, Mazdaspeed6 k04 turbo on 15 psi.

Comment

I need to make another instructional vid.
                      youtube.com/neanderpaul 88 festiva LX w/BP G25 MR 5 speed waiting for wiring- 93 Festiva GL auto w/ air, waiting for B6t/G4A-HL - 98 Nissan Quest - 02 Mazda protege 5 wife's DD

Comment

Originally posted by mckabe View Post
                        I just got mad and kicked it from inside the car untill it opened. Lol part reason im not going to school to be a mechanic anymore, iget to angry and break stuff
                        Ha - Thats why I do this stuff relationally (I do the same with my Festiva!)
                        "Today, no American family can be secure against the danger that one of its children may decide to become an artist"

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

Resuwrecked's thread about power rear lock using an MPV actuator. No kicking required.

Comment

Originally posted by mckabe View Post
                            Hope you used your good leg!

Comment

reviving old thread, I took off the interior panel, pulling the rod doesnt help, I tried to work the latch loose with a big flathead screw driver but hadnt had any luck so far, any pointers ???
                              He said a bad word :nono:

1990 Festiva
                              1987 F-250 diesel-powered
                              1984 Ironhead Chopper
                              1999 Ducati Monster

Comment

Working...
                              X