Kickdown Switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickdown Switch

In the process of removing my heater blower to investigate the clogged duct I had to remove the kickdown switch which fell apart upon removal. The wire was not hooked to it. Is it necessary? The trans shifts and kicks down okay. '92 auto.

not nessisary... trans is totaly manual and that kickdown doesn't really do anything EXCEPT!!!! kill the AC system for more power (but if you dont' have AC, you're good to go).
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks. My factory manual says all kinds of shifting problems are related to the kickdown switch!

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        not nessisary... trans is totaly manual and that kickdown doesn't really do anything EXCEPT!!!! kill the AC system for more power (but if you dont' have AC, you're good to go).
        Are you sure about that? Then why does the kickdown solenoid screw in the trans?

Comment

caetys auto aspire has a kickdown switch and the wiring (AFAIR) only cuts out the AC. all the actual shifting is done via a vaccum signal to the trans and a modulator diaphram. there's nothing electronic in that trans (Pepe is the same way)
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Yeah, there is a kickdown solenoid. And yes it does go to the switch. But Arty is correct, it is not technically "electronic" as it is simply an analog circuit. The solenoid is grounded through the trans, and the switch sends power to it through a single wire. At least thats how it is on Green Car, and Chuck as well, before I 5-speeded him!
            Last edited by htchbck; 03-14-2012, 03:21 PM.
            No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

My car works okay with out it and I don't plan on replacing the broken switch. But from the looks of it, there's only the wire coming from the switch to the solenoid which is grounded by the trans case. So it does something inside the trans. There are no a/c wires in the circuit.

Comment

Working...
              X