Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing all brake and fuel lines, is there a need for a how to thread on the site?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing all brake and fuel lines, is there a need for a how to thread on the site?

Title pretty well sums it up. I started to replace all the brake and fuel lines on my Festiva last night. Taking lots a pics. When I searched before I started I did not find a step by step how to on the site and wondered if one is needed. For me it is pretty straight forward other than the fun at the firewall.

If you think this will help a lotta other owners I will start a thread for it.

Not much got done last night as I had to drop everything to go to the hospital to see my dad. He went in yesterday and today found out he will need bypass surgery next week.

Festivame

Well I just replaced front brakes.
    Don't need lines.
    But I was wondering about back brakes. Are they drums or pads.
    I would like a write up because I need new back brakes and just in case I need new lines.

89 Festiva. carby. needs repairs!!
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

^^ Back brakes are drums on my 92. I haven't checked them out yet but need to as the emergency brake sticks on the passenger side. Do know the lines to them are shot.

Festivame

Comment

Festivame, have at it! While I did take some pics and provide some guidance in my Aqua build thread, I didn't go into too much detail. I did mention how I ran one section of line differently though, and showed how I put the car on its side to do all this.

Link to my build thread:

Hope your father will be okay!

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post

Hope your father will be okay!

Karl
          Thanks Karl, He has always been healthy and has no other major issues so he is strong going in. Hopefully everything goes great and he can enjoy some quality retirement years. He just retired for the final time January 1st and turned 77 in Febuary.

I did see your build tread in one of my many searches but must confess I have not been on the site long enough to take the time to read it all. I did find the parts about the brake and fuel lines just now though.

I really wasn't planning to do all of these lines before I got the car licensed and drove it awhile first to be sure about the engine and trans. But as you suggested I gave the lines a better look and found one was already starting to leak. Then after reading up here and finding out that the part through the transmission mount usually goes bad I decided I might as well do it all and be done with it.

Made a few more lines tonight. Now I need to start uploading pics to start a thread soon. Were should I put the thread, in the repair section or articles on suspension and brakes.

EarlyIIs
          Last edited by Festivame; 03-16-2012, 10:57 PM.

Comment

I've moved this thread to the repair help section since it's better suited there

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Outboard brake lines are fairly self-explanatory in my opinion and where I get wound-up is attempting full length runs that are along the floor and up the firewall. However step by step instructions and pictures are always confidence boosters for newbies that have never had their hands dirty. And I too am a fan of pictures when tackling something new or unusual. So, yeah, go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                Outboard brake lines are fairly self-explanatory in my opinion and where I get wound-up is attempting full length runs that are along the floor and up the firewall. However step by step instructions and pictures are always confidence boosters for newbies that have never had their hands dirty. And I too am a fan of pictures when tackling something new or unusual. So, yeah, go for it!
                Agree! Pictures sometimes help us out alot!

89 Festiva. carby. needs repairs!!
                First time owner
                89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
                Bought for mpg and only paid $250

Comment

One of my recommendations would be to get the longest straight lines with already finished ends to hook up. The straight lines will be easier to run straight compared with the raw 25 foot loops that I had to straighten out to use. Mine were cheaper but next time I'm going straight finished lines to reduce the amount of work I have to do.

I think I'm also going to take out the hardest parts (brake splitter to the underside is one area I hated) and send them to a brake line place to have copies made so I don't have to do all the weird bends to get through the crossmember gap.

Karl
                  '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                  '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                  '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                  '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                  '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

A few styles of these really help..

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
                      A few styles of these really help..

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...=tubing+bender
                      Ya they would, so far the 3/16" line is bending pretty good without them. I might have to invest in something before this job is finished though.

Festivame

Comment

Working...
                      X