Disc Brake Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disc Brake Conversion

Question to anyone who has anyone done a rear drum to disc brake conversion...

What kind of difficulty and price are we looking at? My WiP Festy's rear drums are literately almost rusted away. Being manual brakes, I only have front brake stopping power right now, the petal is almost to the floor before front brakes engage, which is scary "I'm going to hit something" dangerous feeling to drive.

I'm afraid to drive it on the highway during busy times and with the speedo broken I have no idea how much I'm impeding traffic
    ~Zach

I've got them but the route I took isn't practical for most people. PM Bhazard about it.
    89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
    94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
    2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
    1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

None of the swaps are really worth it. Aspire drums work just as good. And swap right on.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^^yup I agree, unless your looking for bragging rights of having rear disk brakes

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

There was a untouched white auto aspire at Pic-a-part off 16th st last weekend that would be a great candidate.
          Im not driving a Festiva because I'm poor. I drive a Festiva because i want to!

Dennis
          93 L Advancedynamics suspension mod, awaiting B6 swap
          91 GL B6 sohc, currently in the hands of DAE undergoing top secret work. Soon to be cable G, with stage 3 F1 Kevlar clutch... To be continued
          93 GL In progress BP/hydro G
          15 Mitsubishi Mirage daily
          88 Dakota tow pig

Comment

Thanks, I might go up there if the weather is good and pull them off. I half wonder if I could find any tires up there. Mine are literately rotting off. Have bald tires all around and 1 that won't hold air more than 8 hours. :???:
            ~Zach

Comment

FYI - I don't think the Aspire drums are direct swap to the Festy axle... you swap the entire Aspire axle. The wheel bolt pattern is different as well, so you'll also need the wheels off the Aspire and the front hubs as well if you want to keep everything uniform.

Not sure if you understood that or not....just didn't want you to go pull a set of Aspire drums and then be upset to find out they won't fit your Festy axle. That said, it sounds like your car is a prime candidate for the Aspire suspension swap. You could score all the parts you need off the P-n-P Aspire. Not only will it have awesome brakes, but it will handle a ton better as well.
              Last edited by blkfordsedan; 03-21-2012, 01:57 PM.
              Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
              04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
              62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
              Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Make sure to get the entire e-brake assembly a well. You'll also need the hoses.
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
                  ^^yup I agree, unless your looking for bragging rights of having rear disk brakes
                  well they don't make drum setups with splined hubs for an axle to go through
                  89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                  94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                  2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                  1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

Originally posted by Nerd Racing View Post
                    well they don't make drum setups with splined hubs for an axle to go through
                    No, but the KIA Rio rear hub has a close bolt pattern to the Aspire...
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

That part about "You'll also need the hoses" rings a bell. (wheel side hose ends are different).

Comment

Working...
                      X