No announcement yet.

1990 Festiva Fuel Gauge bad Sending Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

typical units use the GM range of 2-90ohms (ford is something like 96-4ohms) so either can be used with relative accuracy.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thank you, BigElCat. What a great photo. I really appreciate seeing what it looks like without having to pull mine. I'll keep looking for a new/good used unit, but in the meantime I think I'll look around for one that is not working so that I can have it for reference and/or to tinker with. I found a webpage about rewinding a unit for an MGA. Very interesting and informative. Makes me want to give it a try!

Comment

I've got this same issue. When I fill a full tank of gas, it shows full. Then after just a few gallons, it goes to empty. I snap photos of the odometer to keep track of how many miles I've driven.

Where can I buy a sending unit?

I may try to look for one at a junkyard. I have a 1990 Ford Festiva L fuel-injected engine. Are all 1986-1993 fuel sending units compatible? I'm looking at a few 88 and 89 Festivas in some junkyards.

Comment

I'm thinking Philippines for a sending unit, since they seem to have so many parts available for Festys. Also, driving distances are far less there, so the JY units probably have less wear on them.

Ernst or Junspeed? What about it?

And for Canadians and Aussies, there's always Iran.....
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I think the cost of shipping from the Philippines to the US would far exceed the cost of finding a unit from a junkyard here in the US. And I wouldn't even know where to start as to how to contact a junkyard in the Philippines, learn how to speak Filipino, pay for it somehow, and then wait 6 to 8 months for it to come home!

I'm kidding of course, but would a sending unit from an 88 carbureted Festiva be compatible with a fuel injected 90 Festiva?
            Last edited by the_feist_in_festiva; 10-30-2013, 09:22 AM.

Comment

90-93 sending units only for FI, the carb units aren't compatible.

"To what I know."

-Joe
              Last edited by Spike; 10-30-2013, 09:33 AM.
              White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
              White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
              1988 LX 5-speed
              ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                90-93 sending units only for FI, the carb units aren't compatible.

"To what I know."

-Joe
                Sadly I just learned that, lol. Got a fuel sending unit from an 88 Festiva, brought it home, and saw it wasn't compatible. Brought it back for store credit and got a super nice set of 2 tires for $19 each with plenty of tread for my other car. New they'd cost like 80 or 160 total or something. So that feels good saving a hundred and twenty bucks.

Found the part number for the fuel pump. On the fuel pump metal lid it has a Mazda sticker with these numbers; 196100-0470 and also B37613350. Found it online for $140 but I don't enough know if that includes the sending unit. So yeah I think I'll live with guessing on my fuel tank and constantly living in horrifying panic and fear of running out of gas rather than shelling out $140. Should have bought a Metro. Did I just say that? No but I saw some junkyards online selling them for about $80, so I think we'll be alright here.

But funny enough, the wires in the sending unit out of the 88 Festiva I brought home also had bad wires, so it would have had the same problem anyway, heh. Oh I'm good at this.
                Last edited by the_feist_in_festiva; 10-30-2013, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Man I replaced mine on the 88' and it went out again. Too it would be nice to have one working properly again.
                  -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

yes of course it would exceed the cost of a JY unit, but there are not always a bunch of festivas in the JY, and when you do stumble across one, this seems to be a common enough issue that the fuel sender is either already gone or is worn through as well. This is why we are trying to source them somewhere.
                    Oldest Festiva on the forum (so far) 3/87 LX - 225k
                    89 Tracer 13" alloys and dome light. Pioneer stereo, all else is stock.

Comment

I wonder if those little wires can be repaired. What kind of shop do you guys think might be able to do this type of fine wire repair? Watchsmith? Blacksmith? Astrophysicist?

Comment

I have some sending units. I think one of each?
                        -Greg
                        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                        Redneck Engineer
                        FOTY - '09
                        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

I found someone in New York who rebuilds sending units. And I've found a bunch of other homemade fuel sending unit repair methods here and there. So I guess I'll do more research on it. But the gallon gas tank in the back sounds good too. I don't know anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by eurotiva View Post
                            I have some sending units. I think one of each?
                            How much do you want for one for a '90 Festiva L that's fuel-injected? I live in CA. The whole rebuilding and repairing route seems insane.

Comment

it's not insane, it's just 28ga 1ohm/inch wire, but i can't find any so that i can repair units for the forum.
                              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

If you want to try it yourself, ask Bob's Speedometer if they could just sell you the wire.

Or,
                                AWG Nickel Chromium (NiChrome) wire purchased from Jacobs Online (http://jacobs-online.biz/nichrome_wire.htm).

Revive a fuel sender.
                                Last edited by bravekozak; 11-10-2013, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X