Two questions, Gas Tank and Intrument panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two questions, Gas Tank and Intrument panel

I have developed a whole in my gas tank, I am going to try and JB weld it for now but I was wondering if anyone know of a good place to find one cheap or if anyone out there has one they would sell me, also my dash lights burned out yesterday and I was wondering which fuse they ran to or how hard it is to get to the light themselves. Thanks

I believe you have an '89 MTX. Here's a carbed gas tank from ebay:

Looking at the ad, it's $60 for the tank and $90 for shipping!!!!

Methinks that's a lowball tank price made up for by the extreme shipping charge. Here's Rockauto:

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.

You'd best check your local 'yards for a good used one (inspect for rust and get it cleaned out nicely), or call around to the parts stores to see what kind of deal you can get for a new tank.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

for you dash lights,
      check the Tail (15amp) fuse and also check your Room (10amp) fuse

Comment

Yes it is a 89 sorry i didn't say that, but anyways I pulled the room fuse and it was blown but when I put another in it nothing happened, and also the cigar was blown, I was just wondering if the lighter is the only thing hooked up to that, I didn't check the tail but I will

Comment

so i check the fuses and replaced some but nothing happened so how hard is it to get to the bulbs in the dash or could it be something else.

Comment

it could be the dimmer switch , second most likely

or the bulbs, you have to disconnect the speedometer cable from the trans first, then unscrew the Phillips head screws

or the headlight switch

Comment

Re: Two questions, Gas Tank and Intrument panel

Originally posted by b_rad
              I am going to try and JB weld it for now
              JB weld is very brittle and will not hold if there is even the slightest bit of contamination... you could rivet (or use self tapping metal screws) a repair piece in over the rust hole using plenty of fuel proof RTV/silicone but a better solution is as another person said to hit your local junkyards.

As for the dash lights make sure to check your taillights ,, they're on the same circuit.. I had a wire break (internal break) do that to me about 2 years ago .. I couldn't find the problem ,, took it to a mechanic who found and fixed it in about 10 minutes...

Comment

I have a good tank from an 88 LX you can have for free if you pick it up or pay the cost of shipping (if they'll let me send it to you).

Might be a few weeks though because I still have to drive the LX up to a friend's house to cannibalise it...
                White '89L auto - Sold!
                Silver '06 Rav4, 95k!

Comment

its really easy to get to the instrument panel lights... i had the same problem as you, it turned out to be a popped tailight fuse... check and see if your tailights work and you'll know if its this, otherwise id check dimmer
                  -Taylor

'89 L with a/c. thanks Tim

Comment

Working...
                  X