What if I plug my PCV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if I plug my PCV?

What will happen If I plug my pcv hose from the carb and install an oil catch can to the valve cover and road draft the catch can ?

I have been driving the 89 but the blow by is misting my engine compartment
    with oil .
    1 tank of fuel and the oil is down 1/2 quart,smoking only at start up and after long decelerations .
    I think that the Seafoam has helped the rings come back a little.

I want to overhaul an engine I found in a 323 , but I need the Festiva till I"m ready to swap out the engine.
    Donn

do NOT plug the PCV. hav you inspected it for proper function? you may just need a new one.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

It sucks oil into engine with PCV hooked up (after severe overheat and repair )from blow by and smokes badly
      Donn

Comment

pcv isnt the issue, it's your rings. a catch can is a band-aid, and still requires the use of a pcv.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

When my blow-by got pretty bad, I just took the PCV valve out and vented the valve cover to a catch can, then dropped a draft tube down under the car. Basically, just let it breathe to the atmosphere. Last resort type of deal. I was amazed at the amount of oil the ebay catch can would collect. Only bad part was the oil mist that would completely cover the rear hatch window, LOL. It did manage to get me another month of driving though, along with helping prevent rust on the chassis.
          Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
          04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
          62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
          Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Thanks blkfordsedan thats exactly what I"m thinking .
            I know the rings are bad! but Im going to put the money in the 1.6 engine and dich the 1.3l so I have some time to overhaul the 1.6 and still use the car at the same time .
            Donn

Comment

Before PCV valves were invented the crankcase vent would empty into the atmoshpere. All you are doing is adding to the pollution in your area by spraying oil instead of smoke.
              You should have less carbon buildup in the engine you plan to scrap.
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

FestYboy is right.....the engine really needs some type of PCV if possible. The only reason I did away with my PCV is because my car was EFI and it was blowing so much oil into the air intake that I couldn't drive 50 miles home from work without stopping to empty the oil out of the VAF meter, LOL.
                Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
                X