Timing/alt belt and water pump Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing/alt belt and water pump Replacement

Here's the deal-e-o, bought a new timing and alt belt along with a new water pump, now is there an order i need to change these in? and reading something kartracer posted, if there is oil on the old belts its "contaminated", well honestly there's oil everywhere on the engine, but should i clean that area thoroughly before putting new belts/pump in? Is there a type of cleaner that takes the old freakin oil off?

Again Thank you all in advance for the help and advice.
    I will try to get some pics of my engine on here tomorrow to show just how dirty it is.
    '93 Ford Festiva "RedRum"
    L Series, 5 Speed, Fun-Top
    Renaissance W. R.

You will need to do the timing belt/waterpump first because they are under/behind the v belt assembly. Loosen your alternator and pivot it towards the front of the car to loosen the vbelt. Remove the belt from all of the pulleys. Unbolt the pulley from the waterpump (It makes it wasier if you loosen the bolts while the vbelt is still tight), and remove the plastic shrouds covering the timing belt. You will need to unbolt the crank pulley to access the bottom end of the timing belt/timing mark. Once you have all of the plastic pieces off, unbolt the spring and belt tensioner. Remove the old timing belt and unbolt the waterpump assembly. Clean both gasket surface on the block and new waterpump thoroughly, apply new gasket and bolt up the new pump. Install new timing belt, properly time the engine and re-install tensioner and spring. Now you can re install all of the covers and pulleys. Install your new vbelt/serpentine belt around the pulleys and push the alternator towards the back of the car to tighten it. You may need to use a little leverage to get enough tension on the v belt, otherwise it may squeak from being too loose.

As for everything being dirty, just buy some degreaser from a hardware store and give the parts a good spray down. Be careful of the surface you spray, some degreasers can damage paint or plastic pieces if left exposed for too long. If it is bad, I recommend that you find the source of the problem and fix it, otherwise you are going to end up with a mess again in the future.

Everything is very straight forward. Sorry if I got a little too indepth in the post, I was bored and not quite sure how much information you needed.

If you need any torque specs or timing information let me know I have the alldata pages in my car.
    Good luck! :thumbright:
    Last edited by jjk1224; 03-28-2012, 02:29 AM.
    2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
    1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
    1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Sounds like you need new crank/cam seals more than a water pump. After you get the 2 covers off, you can just power wash that area. If you're going to keep the water pump, plug the hole in it before you spray.

Comment

Originally posted by jjk1224 View Post
        You will need to do the timing belt/waterpump first because they are under/behind the v belt assembly. Loosen your alternator and pivot it towards the front of the car to loosen the vbelt. Remove the belt from all of the pulleys. Unbolt the pulley from the waterpump (It makes it wasier if you loosen the bolts while the vbelt is still tight), and remove the plastic shrouds covering the timing belt. You will need to unbolt the crank pulley to access the bottom end of the timing belt/timing mark. Once you have all of the plastic pieces off, unbolt the spring and belt tensioner. Remove the old timing belt and unbolt the waterpump assembly. Clean both gasket surface on the block and new waterpump thoroughly, apply new gasket and bolt up the new pump. Install new timing belt, properly time the engine and re-install tensioner and spring. Now you can re install all of the covers and pulleys. Install your new vbelt/serpentine belt around the pulleys and push the alternator towards the back of the car to tighten it. You may need to use a little leverage to get enough tension on the v belt, otherwise it may squeak from being too loose.

As for everything being dirty, just buy some degreaser from a hardware store and give the parts a good spray down. Be careful of the surface you spray, some degreasers can damage paint or plastic pieces if left exposed for too long. If it is bad, I recommend that you find the source of the problem and fix it, otherwise you are going to end up with a mess again in the future.

Everything is very straight forward. Sorry if I got a little too indepth in the post, I was bored and not quite sure how much information you needed.

If you need any torque specs or timing information let me know I have the alldata pages in my car.
        Good luck! :thumbright:
        very helpful info, ive been trying to get a friends scooter up and running so i havent had much time for my lonely festy, but i will try to start today, the more in depth the info the more i learn. thank you again everyone.
        '93 Ford Festiva "RedRum"
        L Series, 5 Speed, Fun-Top
        Renaissance W. R.

Comment

wasn't there a stickie about this procedure somewhere? i know i posted about it ad nausium a few months ago.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

you may have a leaky valve cover gasket too, degrease the whole thing like suggested and then drive or just run it to verify the source
            2004 dodge cummins with a full competition engine and transmission.

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

1993 rotted out Festiva 5sp: beater car and daily from MI to NC

Comment

I agree with theonlyz, clean your engine first before you change the timing belt and the water pump. Find out if it is the valve cover or if valve cover is not leaking, then i would say your seals and change them while your changing timing belt and pump. I just changed my belt and pump on my 93, so if you need help holler. I had trouble and got a lot of help from the guys here. Especially when bolt would not come out of cam pulley. Like said earlier, see if its the valve cover leaking or seals. If you need a step by step procedure, let me know or ask one of the other guys, most of them know all the procedures to change them.
              Last edited by milehighbear; 03-29-2012, 07:54 PM.
              Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
              93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
              01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

I just changed all those gaskets due to a very dirty engine like yours is. I had to power wash mine twice before I found out it, that not only was my valve cover leaking, but also my cam seal. Since I was in there, I went ahead and put a new crankseal, waterpump, timing belt, along with the leaking camseal. I did that to avoid having to go back in there anytime soon. All went well for me with a little help from the support phone numbers in some list I found on the site but I don't remember where I found it. No more leaks or dirty engine. Thanks! to those that helped out over the phone and emails.

Comment

If you are having trouble finding the leak, you can buy some UV reactive dye to put into the oil at a parts store. You just put a little bit in and let it leak. Then you just use a UV light to follow the drip to its source.
                  2002 Ford Mustang GT Mineral Grey 5 spd
                  1996 Ford Explorer XLT AWD White POS
                  1992 Ford Festiva GL Metallic Blue 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                  X