Lost power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost power

Ive been driving the 89 around and Ive always noticed its been a pooch at the top end but, decent on the low end. The guy I bought it from said it was from the 16 inch wheels and being an automatic which I figured was true. It would excelerate decent to about 55-65 and then it was forget it and 70 was tops 75 if the wind was pushing or going down hill.

Yesterday was 40mph head wind and she got up to her typical 55 or 60mph on the highway as always but, it was too the floor and not gaining and gear searching trying to hold the speed. When it would shift in to OD or 3rd it would just fall on its face then down shift. Each time the speed got lower and lower till I was only doing 35mph. Trans wasnt slipping and all fluid levels are fine. Any ideas? The only thing wrong with it is the valve cover gasket is leaking and I wondered if something got wet. I pulled plug wires off one at a time to see if there was a dead cylinder but thats not the case. What else can cause such a weird thing? Im guessing its electronic because it drove fine on the way to work in the morning but on the way home forget it, it was acting like a dog and would only pull 55. Any ideas or help would be nice.

Changed the Throttle position sensor with no change.

In the morning when I start it the engine usually has a very high idle.
    2004 dodge cummins with a full competition engine and transmission.

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

1993 rotted out Festiva 5sp: beater car and daily from MI to NC

take and loosen the cat so that there's a sizeable exhaust leak at the donut. then drive it. if the car scoots more and you can easily hit 75, then you have a partialy clogged cat. if nothing changes, look at your cam and ignition timing.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Never thought about the cat.

Timing is set, I run it a little advanced but I also fuel up with premium. Seems to have a miss in the exhaust though, a popping to it. So its cuttin out somewhere along the way.

Anyone have a spare distributor?? The one on this has a big vacume diaphram(guessing vacume advance) unlike my 93 otherwise Id try that one on it.

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

Comment

89 is a rare bird... i cant help you there.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

When mine ran like that I found a vacuum leak. If your distributor is original, the vacuum advance diaphragm might be leaking (mine was bad when I got it). That would make your vacuum advance not work, making your car even more of a dog. Just guessing, things to check. I run my '89 about 12 degrees advanced. It says 0 in the haynes manual but that won't work for you know what. Mine may be different 'cause I have an aftermarket ignition system.

Comment

'89 distributors are hard to find used and expensive rebuilt. Good luck.

Comment

Hook a timing light to it and see if the vac advance works. I know someone with a brand new/never used '89 dist for $100. Don't know if all '89 dists are the same.

Comment

I did notice when its going down the road the throttle has a happy spot. If your in it the car will just sit but if you let up some and feel it out till it picks up then it goes a little better.

As far as odd ball the dist is very odd looking with the big diaphram hanging off it. I guess I need to do some more test as far as compression ect. The car only has 112000 if I remember seeing it right.

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

Comment

Thanks for all the input everyone. If that dist works for mine Im interested, send them my way.

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

Comment

The speeds you spoke of in the beginning of this thread are those corrected for 16" tires?
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the '87-'89 323 dizzys will work on the '89 autos. They have the same plug and vac advance deal that the '89 autos have. That would let him widen his search a little if he does end up needing a distributor.
                      No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

^ thought the 323 dizzy had only 1 vac port like the XR2? the 89 dizzy has 2 vac ports.

Comment

as far as speeds go, its pretty close to being accurate. Its with in a few mph.

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

Comment

is there a test I can do on the distributor, maybe a leak down to see if the diaphram is or isnt working?

2002 duramax bone stock

2013 gmc Acadia

Comment

Originally posted by theonlyz View Post
                              is there a test I can do on the distributor, maybe a leak down to see if the diaphram is or isnt working?
                              Attach a timing light like I suggested in post #7. With hose off, should be at 0. Attach hose, mark should move forward. Rev a little, mark should move forward some more. If not, remove hose from dist, attach another to suck on, watch movement of plate.

Comment

Working...
                              X