changing driver side axle shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing driver side axle shaft

I will be changing the driverside axle shaft this weekend. Are there any special tools that I will need? I already have new struts, lower control/ball joints and tie rod ends ready to go in at the same time.
    Early 99 F350 ex. cab longbox Powerstroke 6 spd, manual tranfer case and hubs 190k
    2009 ford flex
    2002 ford Ranger 4.0l, 6" lift, 35x12.50x15 super swampers
    1994 F150 4.9l, 5spd, 2wd
    1988 Festiva 1.3l, 4 spd, 184k

Sometimes the axles come out easy, sometimes they don't. Spray the bejeezus with penetrating oil the control arm pivot bolt through the access hole in the channel. Make sure the ball joint groove is lined up with the pinch bolt hole so it goes in without damage. I failed on all three doing mine.

Comment

The nuts on the strut bolts can be stiff and might require a pipe extension for leverage if you're not using an impact wrench. Same for the nut on the end of the axle which is torqued to 150 min. A hammer and punch to tap out the pinch bolt on the control arm.
      Some photos at http://www.photobucket.com/Festiva-frontwheel
      Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

if it's stock stuff, a 29mm socket for the axle nut, and a 12-15" prybar, and possibly a hammer. you'll also need some new trans fluid and i recomend a new axle seal for the trans.

most important: watch how things come apart and BE PATIENT.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
        X