Need help with a carby

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with a carby

Ok I bought an 88 festy a little while back and I'm trying to get it on the road since my 91 is down ok so when I go to give it throttle it's extremely sluggish and if I give it more than half throttle it dies once I do get it moving by feathering the throttle it will accel. Slowly and then every once in a while it will backfire through the exhaust it's got a new fuel pump and filter is this a carb issue or a disty issue all vacuum lines are hooked up
    Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

If it's been sitting awhile put fresh gas w/carb cleaner. Give it a few drives to clean out before the next step which is more difficult.

Comment

Have you checked your tune up settings? If the timing is off check your T belt, If the timing does not advance then check the disty internals. Then carb settings. Then clean out and blow out the carb...
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Yeah the car has a new timing belt according to all the service records that I got with the car but that doesn't mean it's right I can advance the disty manually and it seems to work properly I put a carb off of a parts car that I hadn't heard run and it runs much better but not right I can't get the idle to go lower than 1500 rpms and mid throttle it acts kinda like a holley with a bad power valve
        Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

I'd be giving some attention to the accelerator pump.
          Had a very similar issue with a 1st gen civic, replaced the accelerator pump and all was right with the world, till something else needed attention.
          Remember diagnose then repair/replace.
          '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
          '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
          '92 Aqua parts Car
          '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
          '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
          Your holy ghost will not save you.
          Your God plutonium will not save you.
          In fact...
          ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

carby

sounds like the accelerator pump. buy a rebuilt carb,from auto zone.this is why kia,switched to fuel injection. u could spray a can of carb cleaner,thru carb,but that wont help u,if u,got a rotted accel.pump.dump carb,get a fresh one

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              Remember diagnose then repair/replace.
              Originally posted by windy1 View Post
              sounds like the accelerator pump. buy a rebuilt carb,from auto zone.this is why kia,switched to fuel injection. u could spray a can of carb cleaner,thru carb,but that wont help u,if u,got a rotted accel.pump.dump carb,get a fresh one
              You must work at a shady garage if your always telling people to replace parts before diagnosing properly

Good job :thumbright:

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

KartRacer46. He will tell you how to fix it, or rebuild yours for you if you want. He's the MAN!
                No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Sounds like your way of offering help on diagnosing and fixing problems is broken. You need to replace it immediately. Also, replace your shift key and your spacebar while you are at it, the shift key isn't working at all, and the spacebar is very intermittent. Thanks!
                  No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Check fuel filter or you might have bad gas
                    ;
                    www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
                    rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
                    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
                    '92 Festiva L M/T
                    '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

You're an idiot.

Comment

^ good, i'm not the only one.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

My bad i was thinking a 91 . Nevermind im clueless. Lol
                          ;
                          www.facebook.com/rhodestiva ;
                          rhodestiva@gmail.com ;
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=44851
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=419
                          '92 Festiva L M/T
                          '93 Festiva GL A/T

Comment

Ok it's running much better I lubed up all the linkages and ran some carb and choke cleaner through it but I found that the accel. pump rod wasn't fully functional due to being partially stuck so a healthy dose of wd40 and its working better still has a studder so until I can find an upgrade for a carb it will work

Comment

You could buy a rebuild kit and just put in the accelerator pump if your not comfortable taking the carb apart. It's just 4 screws on the back of the carb.

Comment

Working...
                              X