Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding Noise and Shaking!

Hello everyone,

I have a 1993 Festiva GL and I started hearing a grinding noise from my back left tire about a month ago. After about two weeks it started to feel like the car was riding a littler rougher then usual. Now my car shakes violently the noise has increased and there is also popping. It sounds like the back of the car is about to fall out.

I have 12in tires and as we all know how hard they are to come by, the previous owner put one slightly smaller tire on the car. They are all 12in but on has a thinner trim.

Upon further inspection, I noticed when I suspended the tire with a bottle jack that I could move the tire back and forth with my hands. I guess that means the bearings are bad. But I also moved the smaller tire around and it seems like the noise follows the smaller tire.

The car is practically undrivable at this point because of the fear that I'm just gonna spontaneously loose control and go off the road or something.

If you have any ideas for me let me know.
    I appreciate the help in advance.
    Thanks.
    ScooterPookin

You should be concerned, most likely your wheel bearing is dead. If you keep driving on a bad wheel bearing there is a chance of the wheel locking up. Replace the bearings. They are cheap.
    1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

X2. Get the wheel bearings fixed. Not good to drive around with bad bearings.
      93 Festiva L White B6T
      99 Dodge Ram STL Green Cummins. AKA the Jolly Green Giant
      89 Festiva Blue
      91 Green “Mad Maxine” Festiva B6T
      93 Festiva GL Black BP automatic
      93 Festiva GL Green stock

Comment

Yup definitely sounds like rear wheel bearings, good thing they are cheap to replace

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
        1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
        2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

X2 I do them once a yr. with 15's. Keeps them fresh.
          1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Hopefully it hasn't seized to the axle shaft.

Comment

Remove the axle nut and pull the brake drum off to take a look. Passenger side is reverse thread. When reinstalling tighten axle nut so wheel turns freely but is not loose. Photos of bearing replacement at
              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
              Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                Hopefully it hasn't seized to the axle shaft.
                Georgeb beat me to it.
                Good chance it has aready happened.
                Better be prepared to cut the baearing off, without damaging the spindle.
                Have new bearings with you BEFORE you pull the drum off.
                Because if the bearing has failed and you remove the drum, it will not go back together.
                '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                '92 Aqua parts Car
                '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                Your holy ghost will not save you.
                Your God plutonium will not save you.
                In fact...
                ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Yea it was definitely the bearings!! I took the brake drum off and metal pieces started falling everywhere. The outer was bad but i went ahead and ordered the outer and inner. It was actually a sense of relief to see all those metal pieces. I've at least cornered one problem.

While inspecting the area. I saw that the metal piece on the back, that the drum slides into was a little shard. Will this give me problems as well?

Thanks.
                  ScooterPookin

Comment

Pics would help.

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Buy good quality bearings like timken
                      -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Alright I'll get some together.

Thanks
                        ScooterPookin

Comment

Working...
                        X