my speedo doesnt work..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my speedo doesnt work..

hey guys, just bought my old festiva back, took her for a spin tonight and realised the speedometer doesnt work. its an 88 with a 5spd tranny. we put the tranny in about a year ago. i check and the cable is connected to the tranny. any sugestions?

Is the cable broke?

Is it connected to the back of the cluster?
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I bought a new cable for mine a while ago and I had to fiddle with the connector to get it to stay on the head.

Comment

I'm Gunna pull the cluster today

Comment

no need to pull the cluster!! just undo the trans connector and pull the cable out that way (it's much easier this way when putting it back together).
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

When I had to refill the transmission after changing an axle I accidetally pulled the cable out of the dashboard end. I just pushed on it and it went back in and it works fine.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

ok i will check that too, how about this? the car is originally an 88 4 spd, and we put in a 91 5 spd tranny, does that have any influence?

Comment

the speedo cable is attatched, still waitin to hear if there is a difference between the 88 and 91 tranny and speedo cable... only other thing i can think of is its the speedo cable thats shot

Comment

No difference that I know of. You can try spinning one end of the speedo cable. If it doesn't spin on the other side, it's broken.
                  BP, Aspire brakes, stock trans.

Comment

im gunna get a new cable, is the aspire cable the same as the festiva cable?

Comment

^ No. the aspire is a 2 piece cable system, where the festy is a one piece. An auto festy cable will fit with no issues but you'll notice it will be slightly longer in the body.
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

alright, pickin up a cable at o'reillys in the morning hopefully it works

Comment

Joe if you want help puttin it in, let me know. They are simple. Also if you are in town tomorrow, you should come visit me, I go on lunch at 11:30
                          -Josh R

Comment

Working...
                          X