A/C pulley removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C pulley removal

I removed the remaining a/c stuff on my '92 cleaning out the clogged evap case a few weeks ago. Today I attempted to remove the pulleys to repaint the timing marks and eliminate the a/c pulley. First, I could barely get the engine low enough on that side to impact the 4 10mm bolts. Something is holding it. Is it the trans mounts? I had to rotate the motor to get one bolt at a time. Then the a/c pulley hits the bulkhead when I tried to remove it. How would someone do a timing belt on this thing? My '93 had a mousehole cut to impact the big bolt off. According to my manual, you don't have to remove the big bolt to gain access to the TB. If I loosen the trans mounts, can I pry it over enough?

I just pull the whole upper mount and put a jack underneath it and tilt the whole motor up.
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

Comment

Thanks. I did a search and pried to the motor away from the bulkhead. Except I heard something crack.

Comment

Rotate the engine to get all the bolts. If you have the car in the air the suspension will
        hang fully extended. The left CV shaft is too short and will bind when you try to drop the front of the engine. Work in the hole you have, assemble correctly and it should be fine when back on the ground!!
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

CRACK??? the rear transmission mount is weak and can give way, check it.

If you have to pull it do not over extend the transmission shift linkage or brace.

Comment

Hope I didn't stress my CV prying down on the TB side.

Comment

The CV's are pretty tuff something else would pop first.
              Probably something rubber or plastic and now you will
              will be back with a stumble or idle problem!!
              One step forward two steps back, the dance goes on!!

Comment

I used a pry bar in the upper engine mount to shift the engine momentarily sufficenty for the unbolted pulley to drop out. To reinstall I set the pulley in above the chasis and pried again and it dropped back in. No sounds of cracks or anything when I did it. My car is not air conditioned. Maybe check the air conditioner components?
                Last edited by WmWatt; 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM.
                Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

That wouldn't have worked for me because it was unbolted there to lower the motor to get the pulley bolts out. The a/c pulley won't be going back in. I got some small washers to put under the bolts so they don't bottom. I'm fixin to go out there and see what broke.

Comment

Got it back together sans the a/c pulley. I was worried that I cracked the alternator because I pried on the bracket. It had a brace so I thought it was okay. Not much else to pry on: cam, water pump, VAF, valve cover. Will do write-up on new timing marks.

Comment

Working...
                    X