Gonna have to replace the engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonna have to replace the engine.

WulfgarTheGreat lives with me. He is trying to move out, but needs a car. So he needs this resurrection of a car from an undisclosed location to come to life.

With a large effort, and with plenty of advice, both from the forum, and from me, he got it running.

however.

That engine is WHOOPED.

2 of the 4 new plugs were fouled badly. Number 3 was fouled kind of. number 4 only slightly. In only 2-3 hours of idling. With a quart of oil, or more, lost.

The plugs....

Gonna need a new B-3 for it.

We are in the process of pulling the whooped engine out and finding a new one.

Just an update
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Scitzz.... WTH are those plugs doing in a festy!?!?!?!?! those theings are absolute crap and can fowl on their own without the help of a bad engine.

did you do a compression check? have you verified that the #1 injector isn't hanging open? are you positive that the whole of the ignition system is in good working order (aside from those POS plugs)?
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I wasn't there when those plugs were purchased, and forgot to warn them of the "upsell" done with those things.

No compression check. The car came from "an undisclosed location."

It only took cleaning the injectors, and the fuel tank to get it running. Oil was CAKED up around the number one cylinder. You could literally watch the blowby from one and two. Seems to me that the engine blow by MUST have been the reason it ended up at that location...

The ignition system is alright, BTW. Not sharp, but better than mine that runs fine....enough ;P

Oh yeah, I need to ask to be certain. If the number one injector was hanging open, wouldn't that over pressurize the cylinder, and keep the oil out?

Comment

100% with FestYboy, having known problem plugs then asking about engine
        problems is not fair in a family forum.....

That said have you sprayed for vacuum leaks
        and pinched hoses for vacuum leaks??

As FestyBoy said even those POS plugs are showing a
        linear #1 to #4 rich to lean...that needs to be found
        and fixed. Then when it will not pass emissions inspection
        you can put in known good plugs and get through!
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Tested for vacuum leaks, brand spanking new plugs, with only a couple hours idling on them....

Think of it as a junkyard engine!

That is OIL all over those plugs, in case the cruddy pic isn't clear.....

Comment

Originally posted by Movin View Post
            100% with FestYboy, having known problem plugs then asking about engine
            problems is not fair in a family forum.....
            For the record, just to be clear, I did say....

Just an update

I had a thread like this moved to the repair help forum. I wasn't sure if it was because someone thought others could learn from it, or if it was because so many of the awesome people on this forum were trying to help.

So I posted this one here thinking it could help.

I am POSITIVE the car needs a new power plant. The pics of the plugs are from brand new, if cruddy, plugs, run for only a couple of hours, at an idle. Plug condition is just one of the many things you can check to diagnose engine problems. In my limited experience, they are often overlooked.

The reality of it is, if I had the time to spare, I would have suggested that Wulfgar start a progression thread, but shoot, I don't even know where those belong!

Comment

On my computer there is a blue hue over the pics, but clean burning and proper temps
              are not evident on #2 and #4 especially. If you see oil on them as well I would
              do a top end treatment, a blast down the mexican hiway then put in new plugs, run it a week or two, do a compression test and read the plugs.

[QUOTE=scitzz;503769]Tested for vacuum leaks, brand spanking new plugs, with only a couple hours idling on them....

I haven't tried "spanking" plugs is it fun??
              Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Idling for hours?

Comment

Must be an artifact of the picture, perhaps the white balance is off. That blue you see is actually oil and not present in reality. Perhaps if I told you that was a white pine two by four that they are laying on, you will know what I mean. Number four is actually pretty much pristine

Driving it in this condition is not an option either. The plumes of oil smoke are the equivalent of a smoke screen.

Comment

Run it at a fast idle for a while and see if it gets better. Maybe the rings are just stuck and some chemicals will help.

Comment

Good advice. Tried that already. Ran it for a few hours. Pulled and cleaned the plugs. Ran it some more. No joy...

Also shot PB blaster in ahead of time.

Comment

Scitzz, a hanging injector will cause an overly rich condition in the cylinder and it will either fire and burn like crap, or it wil be a miss from too much fuel. it can't cause the cylinder to overpressure, either of the above conditions will result in little to no combustion pressure.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Did you do a comp test and put oil in spark plug hole to see if it goes up?

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                            Did you do a comp test and put oil in spark plug hole to see if it goes up?
                            Because there isn't enough oil in there already? LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                              Scitzz, a hanging injector will cause an overly rich condition in the cylinder and it will either fire and burn like crap, or it wil be a miss from too much fuel. it can't cause the cylinder to overpressure, either of the above conditions will result in little to no combustion pressure.
                              Sure, but it wouldn't cause oil to pour into the cylinder either

Comment

Working...
                              X