Hotwire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hotwire?

Which wires will I use? My ignition went out this morning. I plan to put toggle switch on it. Need help

89 Festiva. carby. needs repairs!!
    First time owner
    89 L carb'd - white / still needs work
    Bought for mpg and only paid $250

If you pull the switch away from the tumbler the wires are marked on the switch ign. Start.acc. And I think power
    Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

White comes from fuse link, black/yellow goes to starter, black/white goes to coil, black/red to heater fan, wipers, blue/red to acc.

Comment

So how would I hook up to switch or two switches
        It has 7 wires
        Last edited by jbuck1975; 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM.
        First time owner

Comment

I would get a universal sw and mount it somewhere instead of a bunch of toggles. How are you going to keep the steering from locking?

Comment

first, are you SURE it's a bad switch?, second, if the post above yours doesn't make sence, you probably shouldn't try to tackle this yourself.
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

What do you mean by "ignition went out"?

Comment

Yes bad connection inside switch. Had to pull down on the wires because the wire harnesses was loose.

First time owner

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                  I would get a universal sw and mount it somewhere instead of a bunch of toggles. How are you going to keep the steering from locking?
                  The steering lock doesn't seem to work anyways

First time owner

Comment

Originally posted by jbuck1975 View Post
                    The steering lock doesn't seem to work anyways

I would get another sw assembly from a site member.

Comment

You can hotwire the car without taking the switch assembly apart (in case you don't want to modify anything) using a toggle and a button.

Run wire from battery + to button, then out to the small wire terminal on the starter.

Run another wire from B+ to toggle, wire from toggle to ignition coil +. Lights work on their own. That'll get you running until you can get a new ignition switch module. The alternator should still charge, IIRC. If it does not, someone else can help you set that up.

If you want to make the radio and stuff work, look at the first "help" post in this thread, if you never plan on appropriately fixing the problem, you can just snip the proper wires and add power, then be on your way.

Comment

PS - If the assembly is the same as yours, I have one from a '93 that I will GIVE you for the cost of shipping (no more than $5).

Comment

Working...
                        X