Engine Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Noise

I let the car sit for a month or so, and when I started it today, it started ticking. Sounds like the upper end, right above the alternator somewhere. It smokes when idling, and makes a cloud when you rev it up. The smoke is pretty much white.

Any ideas?

Timing couldnt be worse. I have a guy that wants to trade me his Fiero for it. I start it to make sure things are right when he gets here, and this happens.

Sounds like there's some water in there maybe. The ticking is common on these valve trains when they've been sitting and the oil drains to the pan. I won't say anything about the Fiero, I already got chastised in another thread about my less than stellar comments about the fireball- er I mean fiero...
    Owner of:
    1991 Red Festiva L, 5 speed (Swagger Wagon)
    In progress:
    BP+G25MR swap, Kia rio axles hopefully.

Comment

The general discussion area is not the section for repair help

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Sorry.

Comment

Timing couldn't be better! You don't want a Fiero. Ticking could be HLA if EFI model. White smoke usually blown head gasket. Look for bubbles in coolant when running.

Comment

Originally posted by kellen302 View Post
            Sounds like there's some water in there maybe. The ticking is common on these valve trains when they've been sitting and the oil drains to the pan. I won't say anything about the Fiero, I already got chastised in another thread about my less than stellar comments about the fireball- er I mean fiero...

Would driving it clear it up?

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
              Timing couldn't be better! You don't want a Fiero. Ticking could be HLA if EFI model. White smoke usually blown head gasket. Look for bubbles in coolant when running.
              crap. bubbles.

Thanks. You learn something every day.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                Agree on the ticking but the smoking is probably oil getting past the stem seals from sitting for a while. Needs to be run and should clear it up some if not totally. Also may need seal replacements if it continues.
                "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                There ain't no rest for the wicked
                until we close our eyes for good.
                I will sleep when I die!
                I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

well...if you looked and have bubbles as george says....then head gasket.....was more optimistic then he was ....lol
                  89L Silver EFI auto
                  91GL Green Auto DD
                  I will sleep when I die!
                  I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

The only words that come to mind right now are probably auto-censored anyhow.:nono:

At least I have a spare motor. Just need a gasket and an afternoon or two.

Comment

so you do have bubbles?
                      89L Silver EFI auto
                      91GL Green Auto DD
                      I will sleep when I die!

Comment

yes...

Comment

bummer....any mixing of oil or water you can see? Head gasket replacement is not too big of a job if that is all it needs.
                          89L Silver EFI auto
                          91GL Green Auto DD
                          I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Originally posted by GenevaDirt View Post
                            bummer....any mixing of oil or water you can see? Head gasket replacement is not too big of a job if that is all it needs.

Seems like there is only a very slight indication of oil. Havent checked the pan yet.

Comment

Working...
                            X