E-brake cable question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-brake cable question

Will the Aspire e-brake cable work on a stock Festiva? I know it has to be used when the Aspire brakes are installed but was wondering if it will work without the swap. If it does work then that gives us another option for replacements.

Thanks
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Aspire and Festy cables are virtually the same except for reach when the cable splits at the rubber-mounted bracket on the rear beam, and also in sheathed length under the floor carpet. A 4 door Aspire will have longer sheath and cable but so what. There should easily be enough play for you to install either.
    But, using Festy E-brake cable to connect to an Aspire trailing arm swap is on the short side of comfortable (by about 3/8 inch). Been there, done that.

Comment

What about those ones I see on ebay for the 121's. Would they be the same as a Festy? But they are in europe, Britian I think.
      186,000 miles per second is not just a good idea, it's the law

1990 yellow L+ (l8ly)
      1990 yellow L+ (sunryz)
      1992 aqua L (agua)
      1993 blue L (aurora)

Comment

If the hardware is still okay but the cable is rusted out you might be able to remanufacture a cable using the existing hardware and new steel cable. You would need the little clips (forget the name) and the swaging tool with which to put them on. I've done it for sailboat rigging. The local yacht club is sure to have a swaging tool (pliers-like tool to crimp the clip things on).
        Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Based on these comment can I safely assume that the Aspire cable will work in a stock Festiva?

Ian
          Ian
          Calgary AB, Canada
          93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
          59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

fastiva: the answer is 'yes'. Folks that have been swapping Aspire suspensions have long been advised to scavenge Aspire E-brake cables. In width across the back of the car they have slightly (3/8-1/2") more reach.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              Aspire and Festy cables are virtually the same except for reach when the cable splits at the rubber-mounted bracket on the rear beam, and also in sheathed length under the floor carpet. A 4 door Aspire will have longer sheath and cable but so what. There should easily be enough play for you to install either.
              But, using Festy E-brake cable to connect to an Aspire trailing arm swap is on the short side of comfortable (by about 3/8 inch). Been there, done that.
              I was Eye Balling it a couple of months ago.And came to the conclusion,that all I had to do was relocate the little bracket on the beam. And it would prolly help/cure that 3/8's difference that you mention...
              Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
              Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
              Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Working...
              X