Water leak in back of car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water leak in back of car.

Just became a proud owner of a 1992 festiva gl 4 days ago. I started cleaning it today and noticed that the driver side rear floor was wet. I looked further and found that the spare tire was floating. The tire well was full of water. I looked at all of the hatchback weather striping it looked good. I looked at the side pop out window weather striping it also looks good. Can any one help me attempt to track down my source of water leak???
    Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways totally worn out, shouting...holy sh!t FESTIVA!!!!!!!

Check the gasket around the taillight. There are four nuts holding the assembly in that you can reach from inside after removing the little panel.

An old mouse pad can be cut up to make a replacement.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

yeah, Ian's most likely correct.. here's a link to the diy gasket thread..

Comment

I just pull all the gaskets I find in the junkyard when I go. They are usually so beaten up I get them free. One in ten doesn't leak.
        OX SMASH!!

Comment

Great!!! I will plan a trip to the local salvage yard, just to scrounge around. I like the old mouse pad trick also but I have only the one mouse pad.

Thanks for the info. I am sure I will pick your minds for more tips in the future...... Thanks again.....
          Lifes journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid sideways totally worn out, shouting...holy sh!t FESTIVA!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X