No announcement yet.

1st start. Prime......?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I totally agree with that Haynes method. It will spin pretty fast with the spark plugs out with little pressure on the bearings. It wouldn't hurt to give it an extra minute of spinning after the oil light goes out. After all the work you have in it you might as well put in the extra effort to insure all the bearings, lobes, valves, lifters, filter, etc., have maximum lube where it belongs when the stresses of actually running begins. I always pulled the disty and used an electric drill motor with an oil pump shaft driver to spin the oil pump to prelube my 351 Ford Windsors after assembly and so do most other serious engine builders.

Comment

Eh, I build engines with grease or heavy oils anyway, instead of using "build lube" that most companies advertise. Never had a problem save for a Civic engine that spun a bearing due to an over rev within an hour of building it, and putting it together knowing that I had a warped main girdle (needed the engine, so I just threw it together).

The little bit of grease or heavy oil on the bearings and journals won't contaminate the first oil enough to say so, and by the time it fully warms up the oil, the grease just dissolves into solution with it.

The one thing that people don't like about using grease is the hydraulic effect that it has. If you use more than a thin film, it won't allow the proper torque values on fasteners. The cure is to torque them in stages 10 minutes apart, so the grease has a chance to "get out da way".

Comment

Working...
      X