Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need carburator help

Hello,
    I have a 88 festiva that I have put a 1990 festiva engine in, using my intake and carb system from the 88, it starts ok then starts running rich then from there it runs real rough and stops running, is there somthing else I need to change.

Thanks
    Mk84

All wires and vac hoses connected? Choke closes when warm?

Comment

Well looks like I am going to need a vacuum diagram.

Thanks
      Mk84

Comment

I wonder if I need to use a electric fuel pump instead of the mechanical one that I put on.

Comment

factory mechanical pump is rated at 3psi. if you go with an electric pump, make sure you regulate it down to that.

that being said, do you have a good o2 sensor in the car and is it connected (remember this is a feedback carb and it uses input from a MAP BARO and o2 sensor to "tune" itself. also make sure your ignition system is in good working order (misfires can look like a rich condition). lastly, but most important, check for vaccum leaks EVERYWHERE...
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Did you set the base timing for carburetted? I've read the carburetted engine is set to 0 deg (TDC?) and the fuel injected engine is advanced 10 deg?
            If you change to electric feul pump I think you have to change the fuel lines. The mechanical pump sucks gas out of the engine while the electrical pump pushes gas out of the engine so the feedback line works differently?
            Never done any of this. Just what I've read here.
            Original owner of silver grey carburetted 1989 Festiva. 105k km as of June 2006. 140k km as of June 2021.

Comment

Don't convert to elec pump. PM me your email and I'll send vac diagram. Also I incorrectly said above that the choke closes when warm. It is the opposite.

Comment

EFI is 4* BTDC. carbs will run well with 10* timing, so that's not an issue here.

electric pumps for carbs are designed to do the same thing mechanical pumps do: draw fuel from the tank (not push).

feedback refers to the ECU control of a unit via various inputs from other sensors (not the fuel delivery system).
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Thanks for your help, mk84daisycutter@yahoo.com is my email

Comment

Working...
                  X