Rear wheel bearing preload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
    Today, I took both back wheels off and removed the hubs and re-greased the wheels. When I first jacked it up i grabbed hold of sides of wheels checked for any wobble and found just a slight loosness on each wheel. Both wheels had new bearings put on about year and half ago. I took drums off and checked brakes. Re-packed the bearings and put back on. I tightened nut down till wheel would not turn then backed nut off about 1/8 turn, turned wheel and then another 1/8 and wheel was turning freely. Put wheels back on, tried for wobbles and both were tight. I did break a cotter pin and couldn't find one so I just got a nail same size, cut it down, put it in and bent it. Works great just like the good ole days. I'll let you know if I have any problems. I probably didn't do it exactly like book says but they are both turning freely and not wobbles.
    Be careful the clearance will be less when the bearings warm up from use. Don't want them to tight when they are cold.

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
    The washer should slide, not turn. There should be some resistance. Do it the book way first then check the washer movement. Report your findings.
    Just as georgeb said the washer will not turn, it is keyed. You can move it side to side though.

Festivame

Comment

Ok, went back and checked everything according to what manual says. I was pretty close. I also checked using the washer method and was just about same as way I did it. One other thing that was wrong was when I would get up to about 60-65 the front end would shake a little so I noticed there were more weights on front tire than on back so I changed the two tires and it took the shakes away. So guess I need to have tires balanced too. After few hundred miles I'll check the bearings again. I think I'm just going to go ahead and order new bearings and this should be last time I will have to change them. Ty for your input guys. Festivame didn't mean to steal your thread. Just figured since you were working on same thing I would add to yours since we were doing same thing. TY
      Last edited by milehighbear; 04-25-2012, 08:02 PM.
      Thom-Lifes too short, don't blink
      93 Festiva (Little Red Truck)
      01 F-150 (Big Red Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by milehighbear View Post
        Festivame didn't mean to steal your thread. Just figured since you were working on same thing I would add to yours since we were doing same thing. TY
        No problem, I got the info I was looking for when I started the thread so from here on out if it helps another member that is great

Festivame

Comment

Working...
        X