Grease stains out of paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease stains out of paint?

What would you use to get grease stains from repairs out of ancient paint? Especially if it has had quite some time to "bake" in from the sun?
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

straight Purple Power and then a good buffing. keep with the clean towls as you remove the grease.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You think I should use polishing compound for buffing?

Comment

yeah, you'll want a buffing compound and then a good wax, the PP will strip the paint of all wax and grease and any natural oils in the paint. once the paint is clean, get working on it fast to wash the residue off and then onto the buffing! the PP is agressive.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

I'd use Dawn dish detergent, the highest grade, called (IIRC) Dawn Power Clean, mixed strong in hot water, and a nylon scrub brush. This stuff really rocks.

Buffing? I brought a power buffer and some turtle wax buffing compound to restore the white paint on '86 F250. The paint was in excellent condition except for oxidation. When I started, I noticed the paint was turning pink, the same color as the compound. I thought it would wash off. I could not get the pink hue out with anything. The paint came out smooth and shiny, but it looked like it was top coated with a clear pink.

I used a magnifying glass, and saw ultra fine scratches with the pink in them. Turtle wax compound was definitely the wrong stuff.
          '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

free custom paint job
            89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
            94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
            2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
            1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

LOL.I worry about using something too aggressive though. Baby car is overdue for painting.

Comment

it won't leach the color off the paint, BUT it will remove the top layer of oxydation from the paint, making it LOOK like its taking paint. i use this stuff allot.

Comment

Huh. I think I will give it a try then. I want to make her look a touch nicer if I have a chance. At least until Boopstiva and Powder are running...Boopstiva MIGHT be running by this weekend anyway.

Comment

I Just did a little bit of this yesterday. I used Turtle Wax Polishing Compound. I think rubbing compound would be to aggressive. Did it by hand and it looked great, but a polisher/buffer would be better and faster.

Just my $.02
                    ENFORCER - Midwest Festiva Inc., Iowa

#1 '90 Sport to modified Lx - RollazX
                    #2 .....Cheesehead
                    #3 '91 White - Donor Car
                    #4 .....Montana Project
                    SOLD----Levistiva for $1500
                    Bought her back for $450
                    Now that's darn near priceless!!

Comment

I have bad luck with paint. I just know if I ever try a power buffer, something bad will happen. Steve Martin bad. Baby Car is tiny, I think I will stick to hand polishing...

Comment

Working...
                      X