It quit on me today need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It quit on me today need help

So this morning I was heading into work everything scooting along just fine then something happened. I noticed a slight shake like it was running out of gas or something. I immediately put my signal on to get to the road side and I realize I have no signals. I notice I'm not running and I have absolutely not power to anything except my hazards. They flash a couple times and I try and start the car again and then they quit working too. I mean I have nothing at all. I get out and look around I've got no smell of anything irregular. I first think about the fusible links because mine are still original setup. The middle one which is labeled main is had no movement to the wire it was stiff as a brick and as soon as I touched it, it just broke the wire like a stick. The other 2 have a little bit of regular movement to them. I am guess that or alternator but I don't think that's it. No fuses are blown in the dash fuse box. Anybody know for sure what direction to send me in that'd be great.
    1993 Festiva GL The Besty Festy

I think you're on the right track with the alt, but have you checked the charge on the battery?
    No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

No I didn't have a chance to do anything on it yet. Just trying to figure out what direction I might need to go in to swing by Oreilly on the way home.

Comment

Now would be the time to swap in the long legged cartridage fuses:
        30-40-30
        Pink-Green-Pink
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Did your belt fly off by chance?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

No belt is still on there. It would have made more of a noise for that I would think but I did check to make sure it was still there.

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              Now would be the time to swap in the long legged cartridage fuses:
              30-40-30
              Pink-Green-Pink
              I was thinking that too but I have been looking for the articles on how to do it and I'm not finding them. I know I've seen them before.

Comment

Just go to a McParts store and buy the cartridge fuses listed above.

Pull the fusable link wires out and replace them with the cartridges.

30 amp left and right side, 40 amp in the middle.

Brush the terminals with a wire brush to clean them, before you install the cartidges.
                Last edited by drddan; 04-27-2012, 04:01 PM.
                Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Hey T.C. if you need help working on it or getting it home let me know
                  Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

Originally posted by crusher773 View Post
                    I was thinking that too but I have been looking for the articles on how to do it and I'm not finding them. I know I've seen them before.
                    :banghead:

Our education system has slipped way more than I thought!
                    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                    '92 Aqua parts Car
                    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                    Your holy ghost will not save you.
                    Your God plutonium will not save you.
                    In fact...
                    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
                      :banghead:

Our education system has slipped way more than I thought!
                      yeah yeah yeah I did a search and found what I needed. I was in a rush earlier had just got to work and didn't have a whole lot of time. I am in the middle of putting fuses in now.

Thanks Justin I had it towed home I have free roadside towing. I am going to go with the fuses if that doesn't work I am betting alternator.

Comment

I've got a good used one if you need it
                        Justin Craig Paola Kansas my 4 passions, demolition derby,Ford 2.3s, my festiva and my kids

Comment

Well here is what we have going on guys. I put the cartridge fuses in 30-40-30. Car started right up then in about 2 seconds blew the main 40 fuse. So what do you guys thing? When I had the A/C system charged the other day they said they had to change a blown fuse dealing with the A/C. That's the only thing different. The A/C wasn't running either time it blew. Do I just need to bump up to a 50 or something? At least we've eliminated the alternator.

Comment

NO!!! do not go larger than the 40A unit. there is something in the system between the main fuse and interior fuse box drawing too much amprage, you need to find that problem first. look for shorts to ground and rubs on the body where the harness lies.

with the key off, pull the main fuse and with a DVOM, start checking for shorts to ground.
                            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Where in the heck should I even start? I run minimal I don't even have a radio. I don't even know where to start. GAH I hate electrical.

Comment

Working...
                              X