lost power, check engine sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost power, check engine sometimes

First of all, Thanks for welcoming me to the site!
    But second is the problem i'm having with my festiva. it's a 1991 5 speed 201k. it started idling rough and not running very well, when i looked into i saw the the valve cover had cracked in the corner nearest driver side fire wall. so no problem there, went to the bone yard and picked one up and put it on. so now it starts up and runs fine both at idle and driving. but now after i did all this it feels like i've lost power somewhere, and the check engine comes on every other time i drive it just about. an input would help! thanks a lot!
    p.s. i am going to check the codes soon and i'll post them when i get them. Thanks!
    -1991 L 238k AC/Cruise Josh's future DD from neanderpaul, the clean slate!

-1991 GL 171k AC/Rust free Jake's future DD (thanks kevin!)

-1993 L B6T swapped auto(thanks rob!) 88k was 123whp 15.8 at 87mph currently undergoing surgery

-1989 LX crazy project car you'll all see one day! (hopefully fm8 )

Have one hydro g and xr2 mid shaft for sale super cheap! PM me!

we have owned 10 of these cars to date and we're only 20 hahah.. call it an obsession!

Yeah, check code(s) first.
    But betting on O2 sensor.

What is your MPG.
    Keep a log of MPG and you can spot a lot of issues before they get too bad.
    '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
    '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
    '92 Aqua parts Car
    '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
    '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
    Your holy ghost will not save you.
    Your God plutonium will not save you.
    In fact...
    ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
      Yeah, check code(s) first.
      But betting on O2 sensor.

What is your MPG.
      Keep a log of MPG and you can spot a lot of issues before they get too bad.
      i know for sure before all this happened i was getting a strong 38 aproximate mpgs, then after it started happening i was only getting around the 20's. i'm going to get the codes shortly here. thanks a lot for the quick reply!

-1993 L B6T swapped auto(thanks rob!) 88k was 123whp 15.8 at 87mph currently undergoing surgery

we have owned 10 of these cars to date and we're only 20 hahah.. call it an obsession!

Comment

Originally posted by jake88maro View Post
        i know for sure before all this happened i was getting a strong 38 aproximate mpgs, then after it started happening i was only getting around the 20's. i'm going to get the codes shortly here. thanks a lot for the quick reply!
        You may want to change your spark plugs & timing belt if that hasn't been done in 60,000+ miles. My mpg went up after changing both.

If you have it available, use 100% ethanol-free gasoline. pure-gas.org has listings & a great zoomable map to the minority(only 10 in every 350) of stations selling 100% pure gasoline. Your mpg will go up significantly & your engine will be smoother, quieter, & less need of shifting down while ascending hills.

Comment

Originally posted by litesong View Post
          You may want to change your spark plugs & timing belt if that hasn't been done in 60,000+ miles. My mpg went up after changing both.

If you have it available, use 100% ethanol-free gasoline. pure-gas.org has listings & a great zoomable map to the minority(only 10 in every 350) of stations selling 100% pure gasoline. Your mpg will go up significantly & your engine will be smoother, quieter, & less need of shifting down while ascending hills.
          yeah my plugs look old for sure but when i had the valve cover off i took the side cover off and it actually looked okay! but good advice on the plugs! :thumbright:

Comment

when you removed the valve cover, did you remove the throttle body?
            Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
            94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

You know you can get the codes yourself, right?

Comment

Originally posted by georgeb View Post
                You know you can get the codes yourself, right?
                i can't seem to figure out which wire to ground out to get the codes. anyone have a pic? and now it seems like everytime i drive it, it gets a little worse. i took the cat off to see if it was pluggled and welded in a straight pipe for now and still runs terrible. not getting check engine as much though. like now it has awful throttle responce as well as it backfiring too. what do you guys think about maybe the timing belt jumped time? thanks for all the help!!!

Comment

yeah mine is doing the same...it has been sitting for months now because i got so mad .....the more i drive mine the more the checklight comes on to ....i did code test got code 17 ...tells me nothing...now i start it runs idles like a new one..but you give it gas it almost dies but wont and runs like an old hit an miss motor...keep messing around reving it and it seems to come out of it but then starts agin...i hope you can figure out yours...i have gave up on mine..

Comment

Originally posted by jake88maro View Post
                    i can't seem to figure out which wire to ground out to get the codes. anyone have a pic? and now it seems like everytime i drive it, it gets a little worse. i took the cat off to see if it was pluggled and welded in a straight pipe for now and still runs terrible. not getting check engine as much though. like now it has awful throttle responce as well as it backfiring too. what do you guys think about maybe the timing belt jumped time? thanks for all the help!!!
                    The diagnostic plug is a single pin female connector near the brake booster. It's not the one by the coil. Crimp a male connector to one end and an alligator clip to the other end of a piece of wire. Ground to something. Turn key and count flashes. Long flash is 1st digit and short flash is 2nd.

Comment

The diagnostic plug is a single pin female connector near the brake booster. It's not the one by the coil. Crimp a male connector to one end and an alligator clip to the other end of a piece of wire. Ground to something. Turn key and count flashes. Long flash is 1st digit and short flash is 2nd.
                      Okay I will look into it later today for sure! Thanks for the help!!!

Comment

okay so this is what i just did, i advanced my distributor all the way counter clockwise. it now runs beautiful and has all it's power back plus some!
                        my guess is that the timing belt jumped a tooth, so advancing the distributor makes up for almost all of the timing issue. this weekend i'm still going to replace the timing belt and make sure the cam is in time..
                        thanks for all who helped! hope this helps other as well!!

Comment

Changing ign timing does not fix bad cam timing.

Comment

Changing ign timing does not fix bad cam timing.
                            i understand that, just took the side covers off and the timing belt is tight and looks to have been replaced. also the timing marks line up as if it is still in correct time, any ideas?

Comment

I guess you still haven't retrieved the code?

Comment

Working...
                              X